Wednesday, November 13, 2013

8 Ways to Stay Motivated About Writing



I have periods of ups and downs in my writing. Sometimes I can write 1000 words in one go - no problem. Other times I am exhausted at 42 words. I have noticed some things keep me going and motivated.


  • Stick to your word goal
Once you break it and say 'oh well, I don't need to write 1,000 words today'. You'll start adopting that attitude everyday. And thats not healthy for staying motivated. Force those words out. 
That saying, make sure to make manageable goals! 

  • Stop when you have heaps to write
What I mean is make it to your word goal, but don't write everything thats in your head. Because the next day you won't have anything to write. You'll be sitting there wondering what to write. Stop when you have ideas, and save them for the next day.

  • Write in an environment that supports you 
If you work best in noise - work in noise. If you need silence, work in silence. If you like to have music, have music! I've tried writing outside, but I get distracted (oh, pretty bird!). I find the best thing for me personally is to have music in my room with the door shut. 
If you have music, make it something that you can work alongside. I nearly always have either Put Your Hearts Up by Ariana Grande or On Top of the World by Imagine Dragons. Yes, over and over. And over. 

  • Have a word war
Even if its with yourself! I have 20 minute word wars with myself almost every night. It nearly always adds 400 words to my count. 

  • Join a community that supports you
Go Teen Writers are great. I wouldn't be writing without them. I have made some awesome internet friends, who share the same dreams as me. Also, they encourage me to keep going. 

  • Write about something you love
How are you going to write 50,000 words about something you don't love? Write something you would read. A book should be a labor of love, not a chore. If you don't love it, why are you writing it?

  • Heck, take a break! 
We are not machines! Take a day off once a week, or once every two weeks. Whatever suits you. Just don't fall in to taking long breaks that never end.


  • Never compare yourself to others
A few months ago I fell in to the trap of comparing myself to other people. I became rather depressed about my word count and story. When I read others books now, instead of being like 'Oh, I will never write something this good!' I know go 'Wow, they are amazing, and one day I will be too.'  


The most important thing is to remember that writing isn't a chore, so if you don't like it, don't force yourself to write. 

Happy writing! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment