Monday, November 25, 2013

What is Whispers?

Well, my WIP (work in progress) is tracking along, today is day 13 since the idea struck, and I have about 24,000 words.

Anyway, people have been asking me what Whispers is really about. I'm very protective of my first drafts; I always have been, although I used to read them out loud to my parents and sister. I don't even do that anymore. The reason for this is that as I got older, my stories become a lot more emotional, and although it sounds strange, I became shy.


I used to be a very shy person, but I have mostly outgrown it now. I had a fringe so I could hide behind it (isn't that what they're there for?). Now, except when I'm around strangers, I never struggle with being shy.

What I struggled with most was my beliefs. I wanted to write books with God in it, I feel thats what I should be writing. I didn't want to be shoving a message in peoples  face and say 'this is what is right', rather, I wanted to show God to people. I don't want it to be over powering though.

I want to share my writing with my extended family, none of whom are Christians. I don't judge them for this, I think we are free to believe what we like, and expect the same in return. Writing Whispers has been a huge journey so far (I plan on doing a post about things I have learnt from it). Something it has taught me is that I should share my writing with my family, weather it clashes with their beliefs or not.

Whispers is written from the point of view of a 17 year old girl who has just finished year 12.
Her name is Fanny. She has an abusive past, and doesn't trust men. She refuses to answer her fathers letters, and her best friend is her horse, Kizzy. For various reasons (I don't want to give so much away!) she decides to leave her home town of Napier, and travel Europe for two weeks.
In Rome, she joins up with Uncle Aldo and Nathan, who are relatives of the family who lease Kizzy while Fanny is away. She doesn't trust them, but needs them as she can't understand the country she is in. Together they travel through Italy, France and England. Uncle Aldo can see how Fanny is hurt, and makes it his mission to help her heal.
Over the trip, as they spend hours on trains together, Fanny slowly softens, and opens up to Uncle Aldo and Nathan. She learns to trust again, as Uncle Aldo challenges the two teenagers beliefs, and teaches them the things he has learnt from life. All three of them find a healing of types from the pain they suffered (oooooh plot twist! xD)
There is a Christian theme in parts, as Uncle Aldo is a Christian. Nathan's family is Catholic (like a lot of Italy).

I can't wait to share it with my friends and family! And of course,  the writing buddies I have made over at Go Teen Writers. You guys are awesome.

So yea, thanks to Imagine Dragons, who I have had playing constantly since I started writing, TW who is just awwwwesome, and Go Teen Writers, who are incredibly helpful.  Thats all for now, I'm sure I'll have many more people to thank in the next few weeks ;)

I am now wondering what to write. I think the problem is I have finished my iced coffee. Boo hoo.

I shall finish this post off with a poem from Whispers, about Fanny.

p.s. If you have travelled Europe, I would love to ask you some questions ;) 

I'm not to keen on the last verse... I might change it.

"I knew I was pulling into myself again, and let it happen. Its not that I didn’t want help. I just hated needing it. I had been relying on myself for so long, it was habit not to trust others." 

No comments:

Post a Comment