Friday, November 22, 2013

Where from here?

Today I attended a craft group for homeschool girls that runs every two weeks. My mother helps run the group, hence the reason I still attend. Anyway, what has been striking me a lot this year as I have matured is that the other girls may age are different.  There's always been a difference, but now its big. I have one or two good friends as a result of this. And they don't even attend the group.

The girls are all nice, (to a point of common courtesy, some of them I will never be close to) and I would consider them as friends, or distance friends.  There are 3 things that have become very clear to me.



  • They have no plans for the future.
When you ask them what they want to do at uni, you will get a blank stare or 'I don't know' or 'thats ages away'. Now, I don't have a sure idea about what I want to do, but I know what I'm interested, so I  know what kind of exams I need to take.  I think about it. They are just hanging out until they are 16, so they can get correspondence school. And even then, they don't really know what subjects they'll take then. 

  • They talk about boys. A lot. 
Most of their conversation has to do with boys. Which I don't really understand. It's nice they'd like to get married, but its not likely that they will marry someone they know now.  It also goes in circles, this guessing of which boy likes who, and who they think are cute. I couldn't care less, and there are many, many more important things in this world to talk about.

  • They talk about other people. 
 Eleanor Roosevelt said "Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people" and I believe this is true. I also consider it rude to discuss others behind their back. There's a difference between saying "Oh yes, Luna went there last summer for a holiday" and "Did you see what Luna wore yesterday?" Why does it matter what so-and-so said or did? Its not their life, and so-and-so can do whatever they like. 

I'm not saying I'm perfect, I'm just saying that we are very different. I have only started to notice it this year, and as a result, I drifted away from some of my friends and they drifted away from me. I have also become a bit of a hermit. But its ok, because mums enrolling me at a local high school on Monday, and I will have a new group of friends who will be like me.  

Finally. 


Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment