Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Without Wi-Fi: Part 1





Take a moment. Think about what your life would be with Wi-Fi, or some kind of internet.  I'll let you have a minute to get over the idea, and your heart rate return to normal.

You'd be surprised how easy it is to get over not having internet, if it is a forced loss. While I was away from the 14th of January to the 18th, I was without my beloved Wi-Fi. We arrived out at the farm, after 2 hours on the bus, 4 hours on one boat, and then another hour on a boat. My first thought? Cheek my messages.

I had no 3G, or Wi-Fi, my phone was pretty much useless. After a small drama, while my cousins looked on amused, I put my phone away, and took a deep breath. The holiday of no Wi-Fi began.

The first thing I discovered was sleep. If you don't have your phone with you, you actually get some proper sleep. While my fingers twitched under my covers, I contemplated my first few hours without going on Gmail, Pinterest or Twitter.

All I could think of was how the world was going on without me. People were tweeting and pinning without me.  I comforted myself with the idea I would be able to catch up when I got home. This was a completely unrealistic thought.

When I woke up, before my eyes were even open, I was reaching for my phone. I woke up pretty fast when I realised there was no phone. A few deep breaths later, I finally accepted that I was not going to be seeing any internet for the next 4 days. And I was going to live.

So sleep was my first discovery. We went to bed at about 10pm every night, and I was up at 8:30. I slept well every night. We had no alarm or set time.  I went to sleep strait away each night.

1 comment:

  1. Thinking about my life without Wi-Fi... HORRIBLE!!
    Wow. I'm not sure how I would survive. I don't see how I survived three days of camp without any Internet whatsoever.I mean, ohmygosh, I don't know how I survived going to the village without Wi-Fi! But I did. I lived both times through. (Thankfully.) Glad you did too! :D

    TW Wright
    ravensandwriting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete