Monday, May 5, 2014

Am I writing the wrong book?

I signed up for Camp NaNoWriMo in advance. I was so excited! I decided to aim for 20,000 words and slapped out a profile, copy and pasted an extract and added in a picture. Then I lent back and admired my handiwork.
I was ready for camp!

I was happily wandering down the hallway, thinking happy thoughts about writing, when my mind suddenly gave me a gentle nudge.

'Hey, remember when Playing With Fire battled it out with that other story.'
'Go away.'
'Both were such good idea. You loved them.' 
'True.'
'But Playing With Fire won. Ever think that was wrong?' 

My happy thoughts were washed away, leaving me with the horrible idea. Am I writing the wrong book? 

And because my discipline is missing, (hence the reason I signed up for NaNoWriMo) I decided to just try slapping down a few words around my other idea. And while I was at it, you know, why not start a Pinterest board?

Camp NaNoWriMo finished, and I had 14, 000 words of Middleking Prep. I quickly added another 1, 002 words. Meanwhile, my other projects sat around glaring at me, making me feel guilty. Whispers, my first completed novel sits at 53, 652 words, and is waiting for me to finish the first round of editing. Fanny was screaming in my head for me to keep going with Whispers Next Door, the squeal sitting at  23,190 words. Playing with Fire, at 24, 486 words, cried for me to keep Azar going.

While these thoughts bombarded me each day, new ideas burst from nowhere, but had to go and sit on the back burner of my mind (and paper because I never, ever trust myself to remember anything). I opened each project in turn and tapped out a few words, then lent back in the chest and groaned.

Writing is not a full time thing for me, I have to go to school from 7:30 to 4:30 every weekday. I have to study and reply to emails, put my things aside when my family want my attention, do my chores and sleep. Because of this, writing the right story is very important to me.

How do I know what is the right story? In truth, I don't think anyone ever knows if they are writing the 'right' book. After all, we are all writing what we want to read. Well, I am anyway. After thinking about it for a long time, I decided that writing the right book didn't matter, what mattered was that I was enjoying myself.

So while I have idea's playing around in my mind tempting me, I've decided to write projects I've already started. If you thinking um, 3 projects at once? How is that going to work out? I'll introduce you to my basic idea.

When I started school, my mantra turned into something along the lines of 'it doesn't matter how much you write, as long as you write.' My aim is to reach 50, 000 words on each project. That leaves 87, 322 words to write altogether.

If I write 100 words on each project everyday, it will take me 292 days to finish them. Then I will have 4 finished manuscripts. It will be about a month past my birthday, and to be honest, I think 2015 would be a pretty awesome type of year if I manage to complete each story.

Why not write 300 words each day on one project? The drive I would need to do that would be much bigger. I need time to think of each little detail, and I'm not one to plan ahead from the start in my writing. I like to take the twists and turns with the characters. 100 words takes 5 or 10 minutes to write, and it is a good way to become disciplined.

Some days I will write more, some days I will write less, but at least I will be writing. The best part of it is that I can write several ideas at once, so I don't need to question myself over what I am writing, like I did when I had to pick a story for Camp NaNoWriMo.

So on February 21st 2015, pull me over and ask - Have you finished each manuscript Wild Horse?

There is no right or wrong.
Just write.



No comments:

Post a Comment