Monday, July 14, 2014

Sydney (seeed-neey)

On the way home the other night, I realised I had left this blog hanging for a week (or two), without telling anybody what was going on. I am so terribly sorry, I meant to write a post before we left. My family went to Sydney, Australia for 7 days to visit my Grandma.

When I fist got the news that my first week of my precious July school holiday was going to be taken up in a strange, huge city, I was very unhappy. I was signed up for Camp NaNoWriMo, my objective was to reach 50, 000 words on my fantasy. That meant about  20, 000 words needed to be written in two weeks before I went back to school if possible.

I wanted to visit my awesome bestie and chill for a couple of days because we haven't seen each other in aggggggggges. I wanted some family friends who have 8 kids to come and visit. I had my holidays planned. What was worst though, was leaving my cat behind, and going on a plane.

I have the worst fear of heights. I'm not sure if its because I'm very imaginative, or because of a bad rock climbing experience which included falling when I already didn't want to be up there. Anyway, the idea of being thousands of feet up in the sky above the sea freaked me out. People assured me planes don't fall out of the sky, but I was not convinced.

As I finished of the last few days of school, I could tell that I was catching the same cold as most of the drama team (production night post coming soon). However, I am a great believer in my immune system, so I forged on, finishing the term with a math class (we did fun stuff, not math!).  We had to leave the next day, so I came home and packed.

When I woke up, my cold had flared. I took the needed drugs, and drove with my family to Wellington. Once at the airport, I decided I wasn't going to do this, but that apparently, wasn't an option. And so I waved my bag goodbye, went through security, and waited with my family for two hours on the other side.

My stomach wasn't fizzing, it wasn't full of dread. To be honest, I just was. Boarding the plane wasn't a big deal, I found my seat, settled in, and waited. Safety announcement, which I paid attention to, then my sister found that they were showing Divergent, so we both clicked play at the same time on our little screens.

(If you haven't seen the movie, don't bother, skip it and read the books. Also, skip Noah, because it was a weirded out movie. Just saying.)

The take off was freaking-out-major-time for me. You are pushed back into your seat, it feels like you are going up on a vertical, the plane engines are noisy and everyone around you is already getting ready to sleep, or looking out the window like it is no big deal that you are about to be thousands of feet above the ocean. 

I suddenly realise that I am going to be in a totally freaking different country next time I step of the plane. 

Skip 3 hours, and we are landing. For me, it is truly the most painful experience I have ever had. My nose is red from me blowing it, and the pressure in my head combined with the changing pressure of landing fills my head with a splitting pain for half an hour as we gradually drop, and then, as we get our first sighting of Sydney, its lights on and the dark, clear sky behind in, my ears suddenly fill with a dull buzzing before all my hearing leaves me.

If you have never experienced a loss of hearing, you have no idea what it is like. The world, which is normally noisy, is dead silent. My family's mouths were moving, and the plane engines were going (well, the plane was still in the sky), my screen told me that there was a cabin announcement, but I couldn't hear a thing.

When we landed, as we taxied toward the airport, my hearing returned slightly, but the buzzing in my ears was back. Thankfully the pain in my head ended. As we left the plane, I was a total wreak. I was hot, breathless, and my eyes were swollen, my poor nose was ready to resign. Needless to say, I had to go to the bathroom and try to clean myself up.

Security, then some other dude, then we are exiting the airport. I can hardly summon the reserve to smile to greet my Grandma. Back at her house, we have something to eat, and I have a shower before to bed. My body is two hours behind Sydney time.

My first impression for Sydney from our short drive is that it isn't much different from New Zealand. Daylight however, will revel something different altogether, after all, the whole population of NZ in squeezed into Sydney...

Leaving behind my home country for the first time in my life. 

4 comments:

  1. You are the most dramatic person I know WildHorse :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are the most dramatic person I know :P

      Delete