Monday, August 18, 2014

One Year of Opal Swirls: To The Beginner Blogger

1 Year of Opal Swirls! Wow! I have been blogging since 2011, but Opal Swirls is my first serious blog. I decided to put together a list of 10 things I would have liked to know when I first started out.

Dear new blogger, 


1) Find about 10 to 20 blogs you like and regularly read and comment on them. When I first started blogging, way back in 2011, I followed over 50 blogs, none of which I ever read. You will not get followers through this method, you need to comment and read other blogs if you want them to be interested in yours.

2) Use Twitter to promote your blog. Twitter is a great way to connect to other bloggers, so join up when you get a blog, and use it.

3) Do not use multi-coloured writing. Just don't, okay? Different coloured writing has it's place, but writing each paragraph in a different colour is not the right place.

4) If you are going to write about your life, Write about the interesting parts. Not to say that your life is boring, but we want to hear about the the parts were you learned a lesson, or the comedic parts. And remember, you don't always have to tell us like you are recounting your day, you can tell us in story form.

5) Develop a tough skin. The world is mean, and people can be to.

6) Your first design is not the best thing ever. One day you will wake up and realise that your blog needs a makeover. Do not question this, just do it.

7) If you can't come up with anything to write, post pictures. There is nothing worse that a second-rate blog post. Give your best each time.

8) Your About Me page needs changing. While writing your exact height and eye colour isn't bad, we are more interested in other things about you, like what you enjoy doing in your spare time, your family and your pets.

9) Don't be scared to test the waters. Try writing a series, ask others to guest post on your blog. Find out what kind of blog you want to have.

10) Remember to have fun. If blogging is hard to fit into your timetable, don't be scared to take a break.

P.S. If you have a cat, we love to see pictures of him or her.



2 comments:

  1. Great tips! And very cute kitty :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I definitely agree with this list, and many of those points I still think I could improve on even now that I've been blogging a fair while! :P I agree with Autumn too, the photos are really lovely too. :)

    ReplyDelete