Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Paper Hearts & Other Miscellaneous Things Snippets

Pictures sourced from Pinterest 
"The way to write a book is to actually write a book. A pen is useful, typing is also good. Keep putting words on the page."

I've been chatting about my newest story on various social platforms, and I think it's finally time to share parts of Paper Hearts & Other Miscellaneous Things.

The first sharing of any story is always nerve wracking- What if no one likes it? What if it is a dumb idea? What if, what if...

I am the queen of hiding my writing from the world, but I am trying to work on changing this. I might start regally posting snippets again.

I hope you enjoy! *nervous smile*


" I like going to Denver though, I like the risk of running into people from Coal Creek who have moved there, like my brother. I like the busy roads and the hundreds of people with their own worries, lives, friends, jobs, family all in one place. I like the hum of constant, excited energy. 
I also dislike going to Denver, and I know I will always come back to Coal Creek. I hate the concrete and lack of open spaces, I hate how insignificant I feel when I am moved by a crowd during the rush hour. I hate how you never see the stars, and there is always a light on. "

" The weird thing about Coal Creek is that the harder you try to get out, the more likely you are to return at a later stage. Example: Ruben. "

My eyes lift to meet the customers, a smile stretched on my face, ready to say ‘and what can I get for you today?’, but the words freeze in my throat. The hazel eyes that are staring back at me are reflecting my shock. A hand with veins threading down it runs nervously through dark brown hair. Lips open, then shut again. 
‘I always thought I would be the one in that uniform.’ A weak smile stretches across his face, his tone wistful with a hint of bitter.  "

My childhood was simple. I grew up with a substitute brother, I had a group of friends. We played stupid games, ones where we were the masters of our own house, and made all the decisions. We were animals, wizards, elves and humans all at once. 
Our lives were adventure after adventure. It was real, tangible, and I can still taste the vanilla ice-cream on my tongue, smell the fresh dirt and hear the laughter. " 

" I park down on main street, keeping a weary eye out for the cops, although I’ve given up caring about my illegal driving. He holds the door of McDonalds for me, and I hesitate before thanking him, my tone stoney. 
‘Someone needs a happy meal.’ He mutters. 
I ignore him, ordering two strawberry milkshakes. He tries to pay, but I shake my head. We sit at the bar table near the back of the shop, across from each other. The voices of whinny children and frazzled parents wash over me. I don’t come into McDonalds that often, but during summer when the tourists are passing through or stop to swim in the lake, look at the old mines and enjoy the ‘culture’ Coal Creek can provide, it is always bustling.  "


Soooooo. What do you think?

9 comments:

  1. I was a little surprised, just because you already start with a place that is pretty close to home for me! I also like how you use the 'happy meal' idea as a contrast to her attitude.

    But where does it go? Where does it go? :O The world may never know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you live in Colorado? I don't want to weird you out, but its just been a struggle for me to write about a place that I have never been to :)

      Thank you!

      :D

      Delete
    2. Yes, yes I do. And as a matter of fact, I wouldn't have it any other way. 8D

      Delete
  2. Wow. I really like it! It actually sounds like something I would read (and I am extremely picky).

    With Love,
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT :) But really, it's amazing. It's sound exactly like a book that I would pick up, with your style of writing and oh, can we can talk about the imagery? :) But I really like it <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Autumn! I hope it is the type of story lots of people would like to pick up :)

      Delete
  4. Oh I loved them! Totally intriguing and I love the description in the first one. Great job!

    ReplyDelete