Saturday, November 8, 2014

Every Writer Has Their Own Quirk

Sooooo. I know everyone is doing this right now, but hello, NANOWRIMO!

I have 6, three hour exams this November, and I knew that there was no way I could do NaNoWriMo. But it was looking at me. I got the emails. Paper Hearts called to me. I had to. But I couldn't. I could just sign up anyway. No. Yes.

And it was done.

Afterwards I didn't know what I had done.


About 4 days in, I hit a rough patch with Paper Hearts.



I stayed up way to late, struggling to write even 1000 words, which I had easily been doing almost every time I sit down to write since I started it. I kept pushing, but soon recognised what my problem was. 


Since I finished the first draft of Whispers, I have never just worked on one story at a time. I have always swapped between two (or even three) WIPs. When I decided to focus on just Playing With Fire, I knew where the story was going, I knew how it was going to end. I knew what I was writing about. This generally happens to me when I hit 30,000 words. 


At 20,000 words, where Paper Hearts is, I almost completely stop. I stare at the screen, and all the ideas I have don't fit in, I try to skip parts, write the ending 10,000 words. 



But in the end, this is always me: 


And you know....



So I started the sequel to Playing With Fire. From now on, my NaNoWriMo word count will be a share of Paper Hearts and the Playing With Fire sequel (which doesn't have a name yet, if anyone has any ideas?) 



In the end, both stories are important to me, and I have had both sharing my head space for the last month. 


Besides, I make my own rules. 



How is your NaNoWriMo going? Do you always work on one WIP at a time, or more than one? 

1 comment:

  1. This post is just awesome. Being a minion fan, that first pic you put cracked me up! xD
    Hope you have fun writing the sequel now! :)
    I always work on one project because I will never finish one because I'll love the other one so much. Ya feel me? lol
    NaNo is going great, 12k for me. Which reminds me, I need to go write and get to 13k today....
    Again, LOVE this post!! :)

    TW Wright
    ravensandwriting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete