Sunday, February 22, 2015

Books I Have Eaten Recently (iii)


Because, you know, why not?

Read:

This is the best John Green book. I was laughing so much I almost cried. But, I also think that it could be called Looking for Margo, because it felt a lot like Looking for Alaska. I'm going to tell you something, and please don't hit me with a book: I don't really like John Green's writing.  Perhaps more on that in another post. 

THIS IS ENDGAME. And this is so much better than Hunger Games. And I'm saying that, because that is what people say it is a copy of. But it so, so isn't. It's real, it's brutal, quick, wonderfully written, and has hardly anything like The Hunger Games in it. Apart from, you know, people dying. 

A cute read to fill in my time. Realistic? I don't really think so. To romantic and about love for me to really enjoy it. But, the character development was really good, as was the writing. And it was clean. So a plus there. 

The drama! The action! I did not sign up for this. America is a silly child, and for me, this was a very badly written ending to a series I thought I would enjoy more. It just started feeling more and more fake to me, until I wanted to cry with anger. And the writing felt simple- like isn't it supposed to be YA, not MG? Someone please help.

I don't know why I kept the torture up. It didn't feel like the characters where very complicated at all. Maxon (the guy who just wants to find love) and Aspen (the guy who will always be a hero) are either un developed, or shallow. I don't know I keep at this series, but I will. This series has just turned into a massive 'I don't know' for me.

I WILL NEVER BE THE SAME AGAIN. And I have realised how much I really dislike the 'white man'. In fact, I wish that I was not white. HOW. HOW?????????? I can't even right now. I am damaged by this book, and much beyond repair. This is Book Thief proportions. Call the ambulance because I am ready to cry my eyes out. 

PLOT TWIST ALERT. I did not see that coming. You will not see that coming. I enjoy books like this way to much. Agent 21, Virals & others I am trying to remember the name of come to mind. Why do I like it so much when teenagers have to fight for survival? Maybe because I like to live on the safe side of life, and these books allow me to live dangerously without the danger. 

If The Maid of Fairbourne Hall was romantic, this takes it to a new level. Again, it was clean, but I expected better from Lauraine Snelling. The Strong Woman and the Handsome Stranger meet, fall in love as soon as they see each other. Eventually, they get together. Cool, k bye.

Yes, it's taken me this long to get a copy. But it didn't take me very long to read. And, yes, it's a great story. The characters are good. But the writing? Meh. To quick for me. I couldn't get my bearings, it was all to quick- and I get that its supposed to be like that, its just not my style. But, I can't wait to keep reading the series. 

Just because a series is growing in readers does not mean the story should be slowed down for backstory. Juuuust sayinnnng. BUT. Once I got into it, it was okay better. However, this is really aimed at MG, and its kind of insulting to me- way to cliché. 

Reading: 

Less backstory, people, lets speed it up a bit. I'm reading this as an ebook on my phone when I'm on the bus or waiting around in town. 

Oh, Mr Dawkins, you are messing with the wrong person.

So, what are you reading at the moment? Any books I should be reading? 

Wild Horse came too close to a review of the Maze Runner series, and learnt something SHE SHOULD NOT KNOW. Now she can't stop thinking about it, but she is in the middle of other books she needs to finish before starting the The Scorch Trials. THE PAIN. 

12 comments:

  1. I've never heard of Endgame, but I definitely want to check it out. And Hostage Three (because Book Thief comparisons? CANNOT RESIST.) Sad that you didn't really love the writing of the Maze Runner -- I liked the tight writing in this genre, but it's not for everyone. Oh well, enjoy the Scorch Trials!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that I would never have my heart ruined again after the Book Thief, I thought that it was the only book in the world that could do it. BUT IT'S NOT. WHY DOES IT HURT SO MUCH. WHY.

      The tight writing was good, but there was to much action in a short time. I was left mentally spinning.

      Delete
  2. HOW DARE YOU INSULT MY FAVORITE SERIES EVERRRRR. just kidding :-) everblaze was my favorite book out of all three, and even though it could be considered cliche, i loved it. I guess this is why I'm an mg writer, not ya :-):-):-) thanks for your opinion, though! it did make me look at the series differently

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'M NOT EVEN SORRY xD I liked the first one best.

      When I first got it, I wondered why it was so thick compared to the others. Then the backstory started. And I was like WHY. It was good until everything started to be explained.

      Delete
  3. I literally have so many links opened up now to see the books. HOW DO YOU GET ALL THESE BOOKS? Like, really, the library is basically the only place where I gather all my books... I haven't ever read any of John Green's books, (despite TFIOS' worldwide reputation of being 'awesome') and i'm not sure that I ever will. Really am loving these posts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THE LIBRARY, I TELL YOU. Our library has ebooks you can loan, so quite a few from there, although I don't like reading ebooks. The real thing is better. The trick is to go into the library insisting you will not get more than one book out. Then your mind spots all the possibilities, and before you know it, you have an armful of books.

      TFIOS is nothing special, I promise. Yeah, it's sad teens die from cancer, but it was way to cheesy for me.

      Delete
  4. It's too bad you didn't enjoy Everblaze that much. I've hear good things about it, and I love MG, so I think I'll pick up The Keeper of the Lost Cities series. The books in the series look extremely thick, but I love thick books. They always seem to be deliciously complex and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I def would suggest reading the series as a whole. The first wasn't that thick (in my memory). I love thick books, but not dumps of backstory :)

      Delete
  5. Hm, I've never picked up a John Green book, just because I don't imagine I'd be much into his writing—I love his videos, but I'm more picky with my writing. I didn't really ever pick up The Selection or Maze Runner. They're popular, but they're not for me. I don't think I could read The God Delusion, though—I assume you're angry? I thought you sounded angry. Anyway, atheists mostly sit around telling me that I'm stupid and pointless and I don't have time for that so I don't really listen and move on. Did you hate it terribly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I set out to read The Selection, John Green and The Maze Runner because they are popular haha. I like to read what is currently selling, figure out why, think about if I like best sellers or not. I'm weird like that xD

      A little bit yeah. Dawkins doesn't really have any respect for anyone who disagrees with him. That annoys me- I like it when people stand up and tell me I'm wrong. I like to argue about it. But I always treat what they think with respect (well, I hope I do anyway).

      Delete
  6. I have never read any of these books. I feel like such a failure!
    But seriously I heard great things about the Keepers of Lost Cities series, I could simply never get into them.
    Thank you for commenting on Inklined!
    ~Sarah Faulkner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No! You are not a failure! I end up reading whatever is on the library shelf, so it's very random :)

      Welcome :))

      Delete