Monday, March 9, 2015

Old but not that old, Young, but not that bold

Source
People who weren't coffee drinkers suddenly are. 

We are being adults, you see. 

We thought sleep couldn't get worse. Now we sleep but still wake up tired. 

We speak like adults. We look like adults. But in our heads we are still 12. 

The good times leave us on a high, the bad leave us in a hole. 

Instinctively we turn to our parents, then pretend we don't need anything. 

We talk about grown up things, taxes and jobs. 

Physically we are present, mentally we are far away. 

The world is just starting to tear up our dreams. 

We are hopelessly terrified and excited. 

Within 20 years we will be worn like our parents, just a statistic in society.


Wild Horse doesn't normally write something that could be labeled as poetry. But sometimes she writes stuff down like this to clear her head out. The title comes from the One Republic song, Counting Stars. Oh, and Aimee wrote a great response to my letter to extroverts

12 comments:

  1. So true! I was saying to one of my friends the other day: about how I don't want to grow up. Some days I just want to be a little girl again.

    This is very beautiful written. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Yes, growing up quickly is one of my biggest regrets. I spent a lot of my childhood wishing I was an adult, now I spend time wishing I was still 9.

      Delete
  2. Ooh, nice poem. And that's SO TRUE -- I keep thinking I'm 12. (news flash: I'm already 16. I feel ollllld.) And that last line -- well I hope note, but *weeps*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Same. I still write 13 down as my age sometimes haha.

      Same here, but life does do that to the adults I see.

      Delete
  3. oh mahhhhhh..... this is so sadly true. I don't want to be a statistic in society.... wahhh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that. And love the post title . . . lyrics from a great song. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, what a lovely poem - bittersweet, but so true. (Also: I'm a huge OneRepublic fan, so I'm loving the title! ;))

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is very true—almost painfully true. We all live in this area of gray space and we don't know what to do with ourselves... It's hard! But, on the bright side, we know you can successfully grow up, one way or another.

    ReplyDelete