Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Cake Book Tag

Honestly, I just go to restaurants to eat so I won't die. If there was a pill I could take in January and then I wouldn't have to eat again for the rest of the year, I would take it. Of course, I wouldn't want to sacrifice my chocolate cake and ice cream. 
-Steven Wright 

I bid my time with tag, I have watched it circle closer and closer, and now it's finally here, thanks to Alyssa! She also tagged me for the Addictive Blog Award, but I'm pretty sure I did it a while ago, so I decided to give it a miss. But cake! And books! It's defiantly been worth the wait!

At risk of writing a very long post if I didn't, I've only picked one book for each ingredient. Also I tried to pick books I have read reasonably recently.

I FINALLY GOT TO USE A CAKE GIF MY DAY IS MADE

Flour:
A book that started slowly but turned out amazing. 

Spark / Rachael Craw
This book was so slow that I skipped most of the first half. But once I got into the second half, it turned out to be a pretty good book, with plenty of action. It had an interesting concept, but I think that the author took way to long to explain and give backstory. Also, thumbs up to a New Zealand author!


Butter:
A book that had a thick, rich plot. 

The Pact / Jodi Picoult
I love Jodi Picoult and she doesn't disappoint- what I've read so far have been solid reads. Her plots are always asdfghjkl and make me think. The Pact was no exception, it posed questions about helping a best friend commit suicide and explored why someone who seems to have it all might want to commit suicide. Oh, and the relationship between two people who have been best friends all their lives, but become more. 


Eggs:
A book you thought would be bad but turned out great.

The Calling (Endgame #1) / James Frey & Nils Johnson-Shelton
Everyone is like 'oh, just a rip off of The Hunger Games' so I was unsure about what to expect. But it was so good! And, dare I say it, way better than The Hunger Games. More complex, better writing, faster pace, exciting. I was left hanging, and can't wait for the next one in the series! Even my sister gave it a go, and she hardly ever reads books.

Sugar:
A sugary, sweet book. 

Redeeming Love / Francine Rivers
I'm not really a romance fan. Redeeming love was very sweet, to the point where I wanted to wince. But I'm shy of feelings, so my wincing probably means nothing. I loved Redeeming Love because it is based of Hosea's story in the Bible- Hosea married a prostitute. Redeeming Love is set in 1850, but it was cool to explore what it must have been like for Hosea. 

Icing:
A book that covered every single element that you enjoy about a book. 

Hostage Three / Nick Lake 
MY FEELS. MY HEART. MY EVERYTHING.
This book broke my heart. This book made me laugh. This book showed amazing character development. This book showed love, but in the right ways. This book was amazing. You must read it and have your entire being crushed as well. 

Sprinkles:
A book that always cheers you up. 

Ranger Apprentice / John Flanagan 
I don't know anyone who isn't cheered up by a bit of Halt. My maturity level is probably past Rangers Apprentice, but whenever I need a book-pick-me-up, I pick up one of them. I love the sarcastic humour and character growth. 

The Cherry on Top:
Best book of the year so far. 

All Fall Down / Ally Carter 
BECAUSE ALLY CARTER. I love Ally Carter. I'm probably completely biased, but hey. She writes characters damaged and beautiful and funny and clever. I think she has a good grip on human nature that really comes out in her books.

Tell me about awesome books! Do this tag because I'm not nominating anyone specifically! Leave me the link! Lets talk about books! And cake! 
______________________________________________________________________________________
Opal likes cake. She knows lots of different cakes: chocolate cake, carrot cake, sponge cake, banana cake, pound cake, christmas cake, coffee cake, fruit cake, lemon cake, marble cake... 
Opal also likes books. More than she likes cake, to be honest. Opal dreams of the day she will own a library, not a cake shop. Although if she could have both she wouldn't be any less happy. 

20 comments:

  1. Hi Opal! I did this tag too! I haven't read some of these books, but Spark is fabulous. I haven't read The Rangers Apprentice (yet!) and the other Francine River book I read was certainly fluffy. Yay for NZ authors! Have you read When we Wake? Maybe you could start a library where you buy books AND borrow cake. Or is it the other way round?
    Shanti (http://weavingwaveswords.wordpress.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey :)
      *Gasp* You must read The Rangers Apprentice!! I picked up When We Wake a few weeks ago and read the first few chapters while I was waiting at the library :)
      YES. That would be awesome!

      Delete
  2. THAT CAKE GIF IS BEAUTIFUL. (Also, I think everyone secretly has their eye on this tag. It's just SO SCRUMPTIOUS.)

    I ... actually have never read any of these books. But I will definitely add them all to my TBR -- although probably not Jodi Picoult, because I've found her works a bit too bland for my taste. I've heard SO MANY GOOD THINGS about Ally Carter, though -- haven't heard a single negative thing about All Fall Down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT IS.
      What?! Really? Is it because they are character rather than plot?
      YES YES YES READ ALL FALL DOWN

      Delete
  3. cake....yesss ♥ that GIF is on point. these book all look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the recommendations! I haven't read any of them. Also, that cake GIF almost made me drool :')

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard of all of these books except The Endgame, but I will have to read them. Cake, though.... :P

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Endgame series looks to be good! Did you like The Calling? :)

      Delete
  6. I PUT THE RANGER'S APPRENTICE DOWN FOR SPRINKLES TOO. And I totally agree with being a little overly-mature for Ranger's Apprentice, but Halt has been my mentor. He taught me to walk quietly, to raise my eyebrow properly (I made the same mistake as Horace at first xD), and he gave me quotes to use on my sister. :D I will never not love those books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES ME TOO. I taught myself to raise one eyebrow after reading them. I also was into archery for a while xD

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I was too! And those books are what convinced me to try coffee.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, I was too! And those books are what convinced me to try coffee.

      Delete
  7. That cake gif is making me hungry, but this is such a fun tag! I wasn't sure I would like The Calling either, but it turned out to be a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! It was a fun (but sort of gruesome?) read :)

      Delete
  8. Stop it! That gif! You TAUNT me. With cake, AND books no less. I agree with you on Redeeming Love(Hosea's story is my favorite Bible Story) and All Fall Down. Two amazing books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry! What could be a better mix?!
      Hosea has an amazing story and Ally Carter is asdfghjkl

      Delete
  9. I only know Ranger's Apprentice, but if it indicates anything else about your choices, it's that these are great picks. This is an awesome tag! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! Cake and books for everyone!

      Delete