Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Recently | Hello April


The first 1/4 of the year is gone, and I'm searching my mind to think what I filled approximately 2,160 hours with. It feels like 1000 were study, 600 were school, 500 were Summer Holidays, 20 were soccer/running, 20 were sleep and 10 were reading.
Tomorrow is my last day of school before the Easter holidays, which look to be just as full at this point. I'm already looking forward to the summer holidays starting in December when, even though it's hot, at least I can sit doing nothing without feeling guilty.

Blogs: 
I've read a lot of blog posts since I last did a Blog Posts I Enjoyed Recently, but at the moment, the easiest way to keep up with what I'm reading is by following my Fan Month Pinterest Board. Admittedly, it got off to a slow start, and kind of ended like that as well. But I'll probably keep pinning to the board for a while. Also, the ball is rolling about my Letter to Extroverts again, Aimee wrote a wonderful response and Heather has now joined in as well, with great GIF use. If you have something to say about it, write your own letter and drop me the link!
I'M KIDDING OKAY
Life:
Where to start? Well, I did my first drama performance for the year about a week ago, and it went really well. My class has really started to pull together, it is our second year of serious work together (although, it helps that some people have left the class). My partner and I made some last minute changes that worked out, and our hours of practise outside of school time paid off. For those who care to know, I played Beatrice from Much Ado About Nothing.
The tee-shirt was honestly the best thing, it just screamed Beatrice.
Also, we have an exchange student from Thailand living with us at the moment, which certainly adds an interesting dimension to everyday life. She's really nice, it's just like having another sister. The first few days were crazy, I kept losing her at school because I forgot that I had to look out for someone else other than myself, but now she can find her own way.
Sonny (nickname) and Opal.
Otherwise, I've spent most of my time studying or sleeping. School is crazy this year, some classes more than others. Chemistry, one of the classes I was really looking forward to, has been a bit meh for several reasons, but everything else is good, it just requires a lot of brain power. Gone are the days when I could just switch off.

Reading: 
I've read 16 books since my last Books I Have Eaten Recently post. Clearly All Fall Down was the best. ALL THE FEELS. And Thirteen was plenty creepy. I finished the Maze Runner series (and so watched the movie) and again- ALL THE FEELS. The Jodi Picoult book made me question humanity (she is an amazing writer). The Giver was interesting, but pretty meh (the widget that makes the books below changes, so it will be wrong in a few days).


Lady of Milkweed Manor
Redeeming Love
Things I Can't Forget
Crossed
The Distance Between Us
Thirteen
Picture Perfect
The Giver
Skin Deep
Stealing Parker
Catching Jordan
Matched
All Fall Down
Plain Truth
The Death Cure
The Scorch Trials
______________________________________________________________________________________
Tell me about your lives recently! Whats happening? What have you been reading book and blog wise? Have you ever had a class you were looking forward turning out not so great? Who's doing Camp NaNoWriMo? What are yall doing for Easter? 
______________________________________________________________________________________
Opal promises there are posts to come, it's just a matter of finding the time. She remembers watching the people in her current year last year, and always thought they looked calm. This confused her, because this year level is supposed to be the hardest. Now she see's herself looking totally calm while panicking on the inside. The best part of this year is that Opal and Cryptonite (previously HorseFrenzy) have hanging out every Wednesday. 

33 comments:

  1. It's so cool that you have an exchange student; sounds like you two are going to have lots of fun. Also, shout out to The Giver up there (although I wasn't the biggest fan of Matched; what did you think?). As for Easter, I don't know what we're doing. But I am going clothes shopping for it soon because my mother has decided I don't get to slink by as some weirdo in normal clothes at formal events anymore. Ha. Have fun with your best friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been so far :) There was a point where my sister and I had a freak out moment 'what if we don't like her or she doesn't like us!?'
      Arg, I finally decided to read Matched because of a friend at school really enjoyed them, but I did not. All all. I think I gave Matched and Crossed the lowest stars on Goodreads I have ever given.
      Parents, am I right!? I just want to wear PJ's all day. I suppose though once you get to the end of high school you have to start buying clothes for more formal events.

      Delete
  2. I have been reading very little. I have a ton (okay maybe I am exaggerating, but I still have a lot of books) of books lying around the house, that I either need to read, or need to finished reading. But now with Camp starting up I don't know how I am going to read all of them. I guess I am just going to have to find a way. I probably will read a lot while we are at our Grandparents house for Easter. It'll be better than sitting around watching TV non stop. :)
    I think I just answer about all of your question. :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had a big pile of TBR because I don't know what to read right now xD YAY CAMP.
      Grandparents for Easter! Cool :)

      Delete
  3. Good books up there! All Fall Down was amazing. Currently I'm reading The Giver, and hoping it's as good as everyone says it was. I haven't gotten very far.

    You know, now that I think about it, I don't think I've commented here before. So...hey. I've been keeping an eye on your blog for awhile. Not in a stalkerish way, I promise. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT WAS. I told my family not to interrupt me even if there was an emergency so that I could read it in peace and it was so asdfghjkl. The Giver was interesting from the point that it is sort of the mother of Dystopian fiction, but otherwise I found it quite simple to read, but with a confusing ending. I'd love to know what you think!
      Hey! I think I've been doing the same on your blog xD I just followed it though, so now it's official!

      Delete
  4. I read ALL FALL DOWN too, and I really liked it! I think other people didn't because it wasn't heisty or spy-y, but the concept was so different and I'm already shipping Alexei and Grace :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES YES YES YES YES YES LETS FAN TOGETHER.

      Delete
  5. Wow, that's a lot of books. I really want to read All Fall Down myself. Ally Carter's books are so amazing. I need that book in my life. The exchange student sounds like a heap of fun too. I'm glad you're getting on so well. I'm doing Camp NaNo. I should be starting my book now actually, but instead I'm catching up on blogging instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I think I might have a problem :o YES YOU DO.
      She is :) I'm learning that smiles, selfies and laughter really are a universal language.
      I should be writing as well, but I have heaps of blogging to catch up on.

      Delete
  6. Wow, that's a lot of books. What did you think of Redeeming Love? Drama sounds like a lot of fun, too! And I know how that feels with Chemistry, I'm feeling the same way with English right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very well written! But it's not my usual style, so I'm not sure that I enjoyed it from that perspective. I'm trying to stretch out my my reading comfort zone.
      It is a good subject to loosen up in, thats for sure xD I'm sorry you're not enjoying English to much :/ Hopefully things will look up for you and I soon! It's no fun going to a meh class.

      Delete
  7. I cannot tell you how strange it sounds to say that December will be summer holidays and hot. I always forget that the different hemispheres have their seasons mixed up. Up here in Pennsylvania, USA, December is FREEZING. *shiver* We're only just getting into our spring weather. With actual sunshine.
    Yes, I had a class like that. "Critical Thinking." I was looking forward to it at first, but after two classes of watching people talk on a video I realized that there was actually very little "thinking" involved in the class. I dropped it for a study hall. ^.^
    I envy how much you read. I don't have time to read more than one extracurricular book every two weeks, especially if I want to keep up with writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winter in December?! What is this strange thing you speak of?! xD
      Arg yes. I can't swap out of Chemistry though :/
      That's where I envy you- my writing has been hopeless these last few months, which is why I think I've been reading so much.

      Delete
    2. *fistbump of mutual "you live in strange weather"*
      Pity. I'm taking advanced chemistry now and I do like it, so long as I don't get behind . . . which I am right now, coincidentally. -_-
      Ah, yes, same. I only just started again for camp nanowrimo (I rewrote the beginning of Taken so I may ask you to reread it. xD). I do that thing where you read binge and then write binge too. There is no in-between.

      Delete
    3. I like the subject, it's the teacher that is most of the problem.
      I'd love to re-read it :) There isn't any in between, is there? Sometimes I just eat books for weeks, then I stop, and write instead. I can't seem to find a balance xD

      Delete
  8. Aaaah. I'm GOING to write a response letter, coming up this Saturday, and I'm so happy that this is slowly creeping through the interwebs because HONESTLY. That was a fabulous letter, Opal.

    Exchange students are much fun, although I've never hosted one before -- just chipped in when my friends got one. But Thailand is a lovely place, and I wish both of you an amazing experience together!

    Just one thing on the books: That is a LOT of books. I swear the only things I read this month were fanfiction and Star Wars EU.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY YAY YAY.
      Until now, I was the same. Thank you :)
      But you are still reading, and thats the important part, right?? :))

      Delete
  9. YAY! Wait - I'm like kind of confused. In NZ does summer start in December or does your vacation start then? Summer starts in like 3 months for us...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Summer starts in December, and I start holidays as soon as my exams are over, which is usually the end of November.
      You poor things! I wish you luck when you can't sleep at night and I'm sipping hot coffee and reading by the fire. A girl can dream, right ;)

      Delete
  10. I'm taking Chemistry right now, and it does require a lot of brain power. It's basically like another math class, but I like it because I'm very much a math and science-y type of person. Well, I'm also a bookish person, but who says you can't be both. I LOVED All Fall Down. That ending. I kind of guessed it a little bit because everyone was saying that Grace was an unreliable narrator, but if people didn't say that, I probably wouldn't have guessed the ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Chemistry, and I was really looking forward to it. The maths is great, because it's a different way to use my math skills.
      I'm both as well :))
      YES. I tried to avoid spoilers but it was hard.

      Delete
  11. It's so funny when I remember that the two hemispheres have opposite seasons. Like, December is totally not a word I associate with hot. :) Much Ado About Nothing is a good play; it's cool that you got to act in it. And yes, ALL FALL DOWN is really good, though I found it difficult to adjust to a new series from Ally Carter when I was more in the mood for a Gallagher Girls book. *Sniff*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. July and hot sounds weird to me xD
      REALLY GOOD. I kind of wanted something more like Gallagher Girls, but I'm also happy with how different is it.

      Delete
  12. As someone who has been the exchange student at a NZ Public school and done drama: I'm glad you're looking out for her, and well done on your performance! My weeklong semester break started yesterday, and thank goodness! Last month I read Dreamhunter and Dreamquake by Elizabeth Knox, Rose Daughter, and the Secret Life of Bees, which was fantastic (a friend of mine read it for school, and she reccommended it.School is insane, and I lost the final draft of my internally written-externally graded essay, which was horrible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Wow, thats so cool! :)
      I'll go check those books out on Goodreads :)
      THATS AWFUL. What did you do!? :o

      Delete
    2. I think I opened it then edited it then saved it and it was saved in somewired temporary file and then I replaced it. Sometimes computers are ANNOYING. Happy Easter!

      Delete
  13. Wow, it must be so cool to have an exchange student! I'm jealous.
    Recently, I've been reading Blackfin Sky by Kat Ellis. I thought it was pretty good, but some parts were just like "get on with it", you know?
    And I'm really getting my teeth into Afterworlds by Scott Westerfield. Oh, and Siege by Sarah Mussi! It was so good and the ending was just.....wow. I can't even....*startscrying*

    Oops. Got a bit carried away there! ^ Sorry! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah it's pretty fun. :)
      Arg yes I know those books. But you don't want to skip juuuust incase.
      I just looked Siege up and it looks great! I've added it to my TBR.
      We should ALL get carried away by books :))

      Delete
  14. I love your blog! :) It's so sad that so many great blogs don't get enough attention :( xxx

    ReplyDelete