Thursday, May 14, 2015

When Life Gives You Lemons





Sometimes, life doesn't go our way- the way we think it should go. We fight with people, we make mistakes, we find out the person we loved didn't love us back, we get teased for something we can't control.



We like to complain that it's unfair, you wish you were someone else, why does this happen to me? I'm a good person, I don't speed, I study and say the right things (here you can insert the name of someone who doesn't, right?)

"Too many people, making too many problems, and not much love to go 'round"
- Genesis, Land of Confusion

The thing is, life hands us lemons more often than it hands us sugar and water. Humans are, essentially, a self destructing race. We are constantly breaking everything around us and it gets to the point where we don't care anymore.  We are brilliant liars, even to ourselves. 

"Well the hurt doesn't show, but the pain still grows"
-Phil Collins, In the Air Tonight

We worry and envy a lot, don't we? Myself, I envy those who are comfortable in their own skin. I'm still working on that, and I worry I never will be. The things that others seem to have that we don't is endless. And because we don't have these things, we worry.

"I travel the world and the seven seas, everybody's looking for something"
-Sweet Dreams, Eurythmics  

The truth of it is that, no matter what you believe about how we got here, somehow all humans are connected in this giant web of life. If we are the only species who can honestly express their emotions in words to each other, why don't we?

"Little things I should have said and done, I never took the time"
-Pet Shop Boys, Always on My Mind 

I learnt this week that thoughts lead to feelings which lead to actions. When we feel something, it is the product of a thought. When we do something, it is a product of our feelings and thoughts. Humans are amazingly complex. We have only scratched the surface of who we are.

"You have to show them that you're really not scared, you're playin' with your life"
-Beat It, Michael Jackson 

It's important to like yourself, it's important to be living. It's okay to need help with this. So when life hands you lemons, let others take some. Don't be scared to link your hands with them and dare life to try again.  
_______________________________________________________________________________
Opal wonders if anyone noticed the theme through all her music quotes? She feels quite clever and hopes someone works it out. Also, Opal wants to say thank you for all the blog awards/tags. She hopes to get around to them in the next few weeks. 

24 comments:

  1. I didn't even realise that those were music quotes... I'm more of a bach and vivaldi girl really. Is that picture of you? If it is you look lovely :). Lemons happen but life goes on. Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are indeed :) Yes it is haha thank you :)

      Delete
  2. As always, a very insightful and philosophical post! Love the Sweet Dreams quote, that should totally be a writing prompt and is in fact the equivalent of one of my characters' mottos. Can't notice the theme, though :S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) It should- it's so cool that one of your characters has an equivalent!

      Hmmmmm ;)

      Delete
  3. Lovely post! I loved the structure, how it went quote, your thoughts, quote, etc. I hope your insecurities all go away like those people you envy because in the end, you have way cooler hair (seriously your hair is a really nice shade). ANYWAY, well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it! Thank you xD

      Delete
  4. Worry and envy are two things I definitely struggle with (but, as you point out, so does most everyone else). This is a beautiful post, paired with a great photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are defiantly huge in our lives. Thank you so much :)

      Delete
  5. I love this because its so true. We *are* all connected in a huge web of life, and yet everyone seems to ignore it! They think that everyone is so different, that they are above others, when really we're all just humans struggling and fighting to survive.
    This especially is something that I still wonder about: "If we are the only species who can honestly express their emotions in words to each other, why don't we?" I suppose it's pride that keeps them from showing that they struggle, but really: there are so many young (and old) that would benefit from others expressing their emotions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! We are all human, and all go through the same things, so why don't we help each other out more often? If we could all talk honestly without being told our feelings are nothing or annoying, we would be so much happier.

      Delete
  6. Truly a thoughtful post. I loved the quotes you put in here, and they were really inspiring. To me personally, quotes speak the loudest. I think that people find it too hard to even compliment someone just a little. Sure, it can be your friend, but what about a stranger? Today I was somewhere and a sweet lady who I don't even know said, "Your hair is beautiful!" Four. simple. words. that made me smile. Why can't we do more of that and open up to each other? Like Evelyn said, I think part of it is pride. But if we can get past that barrier, I think the world would become a better place.
    (just like a tip...you know. since you want to rule the world :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Pride is defiantly a problem- I see it around me everyday, including in myself. When I rule the world, it's defiantly something I'll work on to make the world better :)

      Delete
  7. This is such a beautiful post, so true. I love the lyrics you picked as well ;) This is all so true.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think there are emotions that precede thought. Fear when you get a fright, joy when you hear good news, grief when something terrible happens. These are spontaneous and can be controlled. After you've had a chance to process that original feeling, you think and more feelings follow, which are different - more the product of your brain than your autonomic nervous system (look that up!). It's a complex business, being human!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True :) Something tends to happen before we have the first thought. 'Tis, indeed!

      Delete
  9. I wish that sometimes life would be fair sometimes... sometimes my life can feel tiring at times, and then the Hard Knock Life becomes my theme song for the entire day, or week. I do agree, that humans are so complex. I have a vague idea of who I am but I'm not sure. Sometimes I feel like I'm the person who has to give advice or the person that has advice being given to, or something. Anyways, I love how this post flowed. Bravo!

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too :) I often feel caught between what i think I am and what I want to be. I really have no idea. I think that feeling like this is just part of growing up.
      Thank you :)

      Delete
  10. I know! I know! Can I tell?
    p.s been enjoying all the Pet Shop Boys :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, WHAT IS THE PATTERN LADY. WE ARE BLOGGERS. WE HAVE NO SECRETS.

    But, I also think you're very right. There are a lot of emotional barriers between us as people, and sometimes it's hard and it doesn't make sense, but in the end we do need to find a way to connect. It's what makes us human.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :P

      You have summed it up very nicely. Humans need community to exist at their full :)

      Delete
  12. This was so perfect! I've been reading your blog for a while now, and you just keep on getting better girl! The fact that we as humans have such a problem communicating with the people around us is something that I've been thinking about a lot recently. The only thing I have figured out so far is that nothings going to change unless I start changing myself, so a lot of honesty talks are coming up haha. ;) I hope you're enjoying life as it comes, after all, with all it's ups and downs it was created by a pretty awesome God. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :)
      To true- the change starts with yourself. Indeed :)

      Delete