Sunday, July 19, 2015

Are You Ready for the End of the World?


Let's address the elephant in this post. This is not me yelling that the end is nigh and we're all going to hell.

You may or may not know this, but the world is hurtling toward the end. Everyday the chances of being invaded by aliens or the apocalypse happening are growing. We may find ourselves in a Hunger Games / Maze Runner / Divergent / Every Other Dystopian Novel's world in the next 100 years. Also, we are crawling toward a heat death in the next trillion or so years. The question is, are you ready for it?

For basic survival skills, I suggest you pick up one or more of these hobbies:
  • Archery
  • Cooking
  • Gardening
  • Hunting 
  • Shooting
  • Hand to hand combat
  • Reading 
For somewhere secret to hide out, I suggest you:
  • Build a bassesment
  • Build a bunker in the middle of a forest
  • Find an old mine
  • Find a cave in the Himalayas 
  • Buy an island
  • Come to New Zealand
For food to eat, I suggest stocking up on:
  • Canned peaches
  • Canned baked beans
  • Died fruit
  • Chocolate
  • Canned soup
  • Chickens
For entertainment, I suggest packing:
  • Books
  • Board games 
  • A pack of cards
  • Your phone and charger just in case there's wifi and electricity
  • More books
For weather appropriate clothes, I suggest including:
  • A thick jacket 
  • Tank tops (we're not sure if the earth is warming or cooling)
  • Long pants
  • Water proof socks
  • Shorts
  • Pyjamas 
  • Thermals
Also, don't forget
  • Your hairbrush
  • Toothbrush
  • Toothpaste
  • Tramping boots
  • Something to remind you of the good old days


Have I missed anything? What would you need to survive the end of the world as we know it? What sort of dystopian world do you think we could end up living in? 
Are you ready?
_______________________________________________________________________________
Opal figures she'll just pack a suitcase of books and head into the ranges out the back. There she will build a treehouse and her and Hunter will spend the rest of their lives eating rabbit and reading.

21 comments:

  1. I'll probably just head out to Costco :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to look Costco up because we don't have in in New Zealand xD

      Delete
  2. I definitely would want to have a bunker in the forest! My best suggestions would be stocking up on toilet paper and batteries, and also making sure that there are things like flares and guns and dehydrated food at all times would be the best deal for me. And toothpaste! Personal hygiene should not be sacrificed when the end of the world comes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooohhhhhh yes good point. Personal hygiene should never, ever be sacrificed :o

      Delete
  3. I personally expect the internet and grocery stores to go kaput. So if anyone needs me I will be in the mountains, reading and eating lily pad stems (they taste like green sponges).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can eat lily pad steams?! That's awesome. I think I'll start growing them or something :)

      Delete
  4. Rcubed said she was just going to Cosco which was what I was going to comment too. xD These a good tips! I'm okay at archery and can run pretty fast when a spider is chasing me. I feel like if a zombie apocalypse struck, everyone would go to Cosco or Tesco or Wal-Mart and just fight it out there. Let the 76th HGs begin. >:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait, they have Costco in Australia?? I can run pretty fast when theres a spider as well xD
      You are cruel! Let us sit back and watch the world dissolve inside WalMart. We can laugh evilly ;)

      Delete
  5. Yeah, I third Jo and Rcubed's comment of going to Costco. And ah, I don't know if I would survive the apocalypse; I only have two of the hobbies out of the list you mentioned, which are hand-to-hand combat (I trained for five years in taekwondo just for that) and reading.

    xoxo Morning

    P.S. Personal hygiene will probably be how the end of the world will start XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do taekwondo!? Thats so cool! I think you're safe :)

      Delete
  6. I absolutely second the idea of a new Hunger Games at the supermarket XD I'm actually going to learn an easier form of Chinese martial arts next year for my CAS activity, so yay! I have one down already! I can bake cookies, that totally counts. And also I can read! YAY! All set for The End Of The World, abbrv. TEOTW. Um, TETW? EOW? I dunno.

    PS: The idea of a bucket list for the end of the world intrigues me endlessly and I may write a blog post or a book about it someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! You'll be ninja before you know it ;) Baking cookies defiantly counts.
      That would be amazing!

      Delete
  7. I would just go under my blankets with popcorn and potato chips and watch Netflix until all my electronics died and at that point I would be basically dead myself :P

    O | Life as a Young Lady

    ReplyDelete
  8. You should add sewing and knitting or crochet to that list of skills, girl. Those clothes aren't going to last for ever. In twenty years you'll be wearing animal skins, leather and spun yarn shorn from the sheep running around. And you'll need to add knives and something to sharpen them with to your list of things to take.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point! Sewing would be a very helpful skill. And knives. Knives are a good idea.

      Delete
  9. Reading! I've got that basic skill down. ;)

    This is awesome! I also suggest to pack a good dystopian trilogy as a guideline on how to properly rebel against a corrupt government when the time comes. XD

    Oh, yes. And good music. One cannot save/survive the world without good music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading is a great place to start! :)
      Yes, taking the Hunger Games or Divergent as a guide is a brilliant idea.
      And music. Music is essential.

      Delete
  10. hahahaha yes, what a good idea. Because New Zealand won't be affected by the zombie apocalypse or climate change or holes in the ozone layer (oops). But I loved this post. Just in case there's wifi? There'd better be, is all I can say. My over active imagination has actually prepared me for this (like, what if the world ends? I bet I would die super fast and not be awesome like Katniss or anybody else/) (This is very true. The only skill I have is gardening, but I'm not quite sure that it would be as useful as archery. Growing crops maybe? If I don't die first. (I just talked about it like it's real. oops.) weavingwaveswords

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. xD
      Thinking about it, it's surprising how much I have talked about how to survive the end of the world with my peers. I think it's quite a valid fear of many teenagers.

      Delete
  11. If I think about it, I would probably be one of the first to die. I can be quiet fierce but with diabetes and everyting, no chance. I would probably pack so much stuff that I would die just trying to run away from the lava or zombies anyways haha And if I did survive, I would probably go to Canada and hide in the woods. Wait...they have bears there? Nevermind, I wouldn't go to Canada haha At least I can cook, though It wouldn't help much as there aren't many kitchen-ranges in the woods. Yeah, I would die. :P
    Great post, you're really funny and original. :)

    ReplyDelete