Friday, July 17, 2015

Movie Night




Heart beating fast, hands shaking,
I'm 13 years old again,
Clutch the side of the bench, yank myself into the present

The first car pulls up,
I'm praying everything goes well,
A flurry of friends begins to arrive

People talking, filling up space,
I'm folding up to take up less space,
The cry of my name

Dancing around people and laughing at a joke,
I'm yanked into the circle,
These people are in my home, my safe place

Let's move the furniture into a circle,
I'm grinning as we lift and shove,
Let's make up our mind on the first film

The click of the DVD drive,
I'm pacing myself, breathing is important,
Damn, I wish anxiety didn't exist around friends

Dinner is pizza's,
I'm rushing to find what people might want,
Laughter fills the house

We have enough junk food to feed 20,
I'm not sure how much I will be left with,
There are only 9 of us

Watching them trying to work the computer,
I'm drifting back and forth,
We're all eating food, that's important of course

It's dark, the middle of the night,
I'm wondering why horror films exist,
We're teenagers, it's just something we do

'I saw Opal jump!',
I'm laughing at myself too,
Keep on watching, getting an adrenaline rush

One more movie to calm us down,
I'm wishing my heart would stop thumping,
It's 4:30am when we finish and start to talk

6am and everyone falls silent,
I'm surprised to see them collapse,
All nighters are nothing new to me

Acceptance is a funny thing,
I'm pondering,
I struggle to understand why these people have accepted me

As deep breaths begin to fill the room,
I'm lying wide awake,
Thanking God for friends
_______________________________________________________________________________
Opal has only had two friends over from school since she started last year, so to have eight over at once was a huge step up. It went well though. 

19 comments:

  1. This was really beautiful.
    Very very sweet.

    xoxo
    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, it sounds like you had a fun night with your friends! I'm glad that it went well, and that you did make that leap to try something kind of bigger than anything you ever had. It made for a good poem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad you like the poem :)

      Delete
  3. Aw! I love this! I like that it tells a story and how you convey your feelings throughout it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like you had so much fun :) i basically never have people over....8 would give me a fright.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I'm sure you'd be fine :)

      Delete
  5. Oh, I get you. I hate having people over unless they're from church.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me it's more about home being my safe place to get away from people I guess :)

      Delete
  6. It seems like you had a really good time! Movie nights are fun. :) Although 8 people is a little crowded for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also "Damn, I wish anxiety didn't exist around friends" is the realest line ever.

      Delete
    2. They are! We have a massive lounge so there is plenty of room. I'm glad you can relate :)

      Delete
  7. This is a really cool poem! A lot of online poetry I see are angst, which is always exquisite, but hey, a little fun is awesome too. Glad you had such an awesome movie night with friends!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, I love this! It sounded like you had a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I did in the end thank you :)

      Delete
  9. sounds fun. I don't like horror movies. LOTR and The Neverending Story gave me nightmares. (I was 12, though) You are so lucky to have amazing friends! I'm glad I have some ( 8 sounds like a lot though)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not good at horror either :)
      Haha thank you :) 8 does sound like a lot in hindsight xD

      Delete