Monday, July 27, 2015

Snazzy Snippets: When I am Weak

I'm excited to join Alyssa's link up, in which you share a snippet of writing within the themes. In her words:

"...It’s an opportunity for writers! Every two months, we post a prompt or question for you to share a snippet of less than 500 words. It’s designed to let you have fun, analyse your work on a smaller level, or just write something to join in."

You can read more and link up here.

I've chosen to post from my WIP, When I am Weak. Enjoy! 
A snippet that shows your MC’s personality:
source
‘Hey.’ Tim steps out from behind mum, and I find myself blushing, my stomach tumbling like it did when he first paid attention to me.

‘Hey yourself.’ I try to sound confident, but instead I’m totally awkward. He steps in, and mum raises her eyebrows at me before disappearing back down he hallway.

His eyes sweep my walls, inspects my only poster, which advertises Field Days. His eyes stop above my desk, and I see a tiny crease form on his forehead. I watch on, without a care. What did he expect, me to leave the photos of us in my wall?

‘It’s different from how you described it’ he explains awkwardly.

‘It’s changed.’ I fiddle with the corner of my sheet. ‘You can sit.’ I gesture to my desk chair.

He pulls it out, resumes his usual confident pose, and smiles at me. I look away, concentrate on the spot where our faces used to hang. I don’t know what to say to please him, I don’t know what he expects from me.

source
A snippet that’s mostly dialogue:
‘I don’t want to go to school.’ 

‘Why not?’ Mum looks over her shoulder from frying some eggs. 

‘I just don’t feel like it.’ I say before realising that is what Tim said to me. 

‘Jess, I do things I don’t feel like all the time.’ 

I shove cereal into my mouth and mutter ‘well, I could have dropped out by now anyway.’ 

‘What was that, young lady?’ Mums hands go on her hips. 

‘I said, I could have dropped out by now.’ I raise my eyes to meet my mothers. 

‘Young lady, you will be going to school.’ Mum places emphasis on her words, her way of showing that the conversation is over.

I turn to dad, but he coughs and looks the other way. 

I settle for ‘urg!’, leaving the kitchen without putting my bowl in the dishwasher. 

Have you linked up, or plan on doing so? Leave me your link! 
_______________________________________________________________________________
Opal likes reading snippets of others writing. It's exciting to realise that they are building worlds and characters just like her. 

22 comments:

  1. Oh, I do love these! Especially the first one. I'm super interested in what happens next. :D *should really do this link-up, I guess*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Yeah haha it's a great way to share a bit of writing :)

      Delete
  2. Oooh, I really like the tension you have in these snippets, and I'm interested in your MC because of that first snippet. Also, I just clicked over to your Pinterest board for this WIP and I'm now 500% more curious about it. So great work with that!

    I linked up as well! Glad to see people are making good use of Alyssa and Emily's fabulous idea :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :)
      It's a fabulous idea indeed :)

      Delete
  3. These are very interesting! I especially like the first one. So many questions!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so cool! You are such a good writer. I especially liked the first scene; they way you hinted at--without just point-blank saying--past relationships and how their past was affecting their awkward present. It sounded like it came straight out of an actual novel. I wish I practicing my writing more so I could get half as good as you :)

    O | Life as a Young Lady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I don't think I'm that great, but if you enjoyed it, that's what matters :)

      Delete
  5. Oooh, I'm curious to see what continues to happen to your MC. My friend Christina has been nominating me to do writing related tags... I don't know, I'm thinking about doing more writing based posts on my blog but with the upcoming school year, I know I'll mostly be writing... behind the scenes.

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES. I'd love to see some of your writing! :)

      Delete
  6. I like it! I was a bit confused whose mum Tim was hiding behind though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I went back and read it a few times, and I can see where you're coming from :)

      Delete
  7. I love these, the first one has to be my favourite, though. Maybe because I'm into characterisation? I'm not sure. Excellently done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay, thank you for linking up with us! I'm so happy we get to hear more about your WIP. The tension between Tim and Jess is lovely, and YAY PARENTS IN YA. And sensible parents, too. Can't wait to hear more about it!

    PS: Love your Pinterest board! Have you entered it into Christina @ fairy skeletons' July contest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for having the linkup!
      YES. I didn't start out trying to purposefully break out of the YA 'norm', I just wanted Jess to have adults supporting her, but now... :)
      Thank you! No, I haven't :)

      Delete
  9. Ooh, thanks for sharing! Seeing snippets is always so personal, so I'm glad you shared them with us. :D They indicate a lot of turbulence in your POV character's relationships—that's so exciting. And amps us up for their full, right? Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete