Sunday, July 12, 2015

Staying Busy


I don't think there is any glory in being busy, but sometimes busy is what I need. I need to be so caught up in the world around me that everything else is a faded blur. I need to fall into bed at night and sleep instantly.

I think we all do sometimes. We have to distract our minds to the better things in life. We have to keep moving. We are a generation obsessed with feeling alive but can't work out how to live. We have to keep dancing, keep running, keep working, keep watching films. Anything to fill in the silence. 

I once jotted these words down:

I think it's called an identity crisis
When you hear people say be who you are and you wonder what you are because 
You don't know what you want and don't want and what's instinctive and what's not

Everyone is trying to find themselves, work out who they are. We're all unsure. Thinking seems dangerous. Sometimes the harder we try to feel alive, the more frustrated we become. 

In The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Charlie says '...and in that moment, I swear we were infinite.' He felt endless, in size, in space, beyond measurement. I think we say we want to live, when we search for the feeling of being alive, we are really trying to feel infinite. We're all fighting to feel something bigger than ourselves.

 I'm not sure what the point of this post is, but here we are anyway.

Maybe it doesn't need a point.

Listening
One For the Road | Arctic Monkeys
Girls and Boys | Blur
Photograph | Ed Sheeran  
Love me Like You Do | Ellie Golding
Ribs | Lorde
Twin Skeletons | Fall Out Boy 
Imagine | John Lennon
Salute | Little Mix
Wonderwall | Oasis 
Wish You Were Here | Pink Floyd
Elastic Heart | Sia
Chasing Cars | Snow Patrol
We Built This City | Starship
Move Along | The All American Rejects
Done. | The Band Perry
Asleep | The Smiths
Fairly Local | Twenty One Pilots
Up 2 U | Walk the Moon 
Portugal | Walk the Moon
The Show Must Go On | Queen
_______________________________________________________________________________
Opal liked The Perks of Being a Wallflower movie better than the book. It's the only time she has ever liked a movie more than the book.

10 comments:

  1. For some reason, the 'anything to fill in the silence' line reminded me of YouTube videos, and how they're always edited so that there are literally zero gaps or pauses between speech. Not the best example out there, but you're completely right, we can't stand silence. I hate being unproductive or not busy. I wonder why?

    By the way, Arctic Monkeys is just...amazing. >:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! I've never even thought about that before. Me too :)

      YEEESSSS.

      Delete
  2. Hm, maybe not having a point kind of makes your point... There's that aspect of being busy that isn't needed to be productive. You have a lot of lovely songs up there. I like Starship and All American Rejects in particular, but I think I shall have to look up some of the others. Or maybe I could just listen to We Built This City on Repeat, because why not? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe :)

      I may be guilty of listening to We Built This City on repeat as well ;)

      Delete
  3. Omg I love Elastic Heart! I cannot stop singing it; it's driving my family insane.

    And that's so true--lately I've found myself getting involved in volunteer stuff and trying to find other ways to keep moving moving moving so I don't think so much. Unfortunately, no matter how much I tire myself out, I still lay awake thinking before I fall asleep, even if it's 3 a.m. (and trust me, bedtime has been 3 a.m. for me dozens of times lately)

    O | Life as a Young Lady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But it's such an awesome song!

      Arg yes, the awake at night business. I'm not even sure when it started, but you're defiantly not the only one :)

      Delete
  4. aye, i know exactly what you mean. personally, i love staying busy with a schedule jam-packed to the top. i don't know, i guess it kind of gives a sense of security that life is full of things happening and i'm part of them. i like to stay occupied with lots of things, and idle time is something i try not to have a lot of. but, sometimes it's necessary too. constantly being on the go isn't good either, it's about finding the balance I suppose.
    and you're right. we try to fill in the silence with anything, mostly.
    this post got me thinking, opal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's defiantly something about the feeling that you are doing something with your life. I find it really hard to be idle but I think you're right- it's about finding a balance.

      I'm glad :)

      Delete
  5. The Lord God was not found in the whirlwind or the busyness or the treadmill but in the stillness. But we shut him out, closing the doors of our minds by our fear of the silence and the still. Be still He says, listen and meditate upon me and my glory. Sing to me for that is what music was always meant to be, for what it was created. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with you Opal! I like being busy too. I have this weird thing where I m super busy when it's school (my whole life revolves around school because I live in a remote-ish part of India, and I go to a boarding school although I'm not a boarder) and have all my extracurriculars and homework and everything. Then in the holidays it's really quiet, a lot of people aren't there, and I spend most of the time with my family or on my computer. And I love some of the quotes you entered in this post :)

    ReplyDelete