Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Unpopular Opinions Tag




So Ally, who happens to be one of my favourite book bloggers tagged me for the Unpopular Opinions Tag which makes me happy. I'm used to giving my unpopular opinion (surprise, surprise). All links go back to Goodreads.

A Popular Book/Series You Didn't Like:
I was super excited to read Fangirl and come out the end very un-excited. I got Cath, that wasn't the problem. I didn't like the story. I didn't like Levi or any of the other characters. The more I think about it, the more upset I get.

There was a huge fuss about The Selection Series and despite the premise not really being my sort of thing, I decided to read the books anyway. I didn't like the writing and I didn't like America or Maxon or Aspen (which made it very hard to pick a OTP). But at the same time I can't let this series go and I will be reading The Heir.

A friend read The Matched Series and thought it was pretty good, and I'd seen it on Goodreads, so I decided to read it. I didn't like it from the beginning. It gave me the same feeling as the Selection, but I didn't want to keep reading the series. I haven't read the last book in the series, and I don't plan on doing so, which is unusual for me.

A Popular Book/Series Everyone Hates But You Love:
I picked The Calling (Endgame) up because of the shinny cover (totally not something I do on a regular basis) and finished it very quickly. I then went on Goodreads to mark it as read, and was surprised to find so much hate. Apparently it was basically the Hunger Games, but that never crossed my mind while reading it.

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children is weird. But I kind of like it. It was a good weird. The weird I had never read in a book before. It was also kind of creepy. I regret nothing.

Nick Lake wrote Hostage Three before he did There Will Be Lies. Hostage Three broke my heart pretty much got Book Thief proportions of emotion out of me, which is a lot. It isn't super well reviewed but I'm happy in my own little fandom.

A Love Triangle Where The Protagonist Ended Up With The Person You Didn't Want Them To Be With:
All the time.  I have a message for the vast majority of female Protagonists: YOU DON'T NEED A BOY OKAY? YOU CAN DO IT WITHOUT HIM! And one for the males: I don't even understand why you need her. YOU DON'T! Stop fighting for her, just let the other guy have him, you'll thank me later. I promise.
See, he knows.

A Popular Genre You Hardly Read:
Paranormal (looking at you Twilight, who I have always stayed 10 feet away from). Also Romance. Unfortunately you don't need to pick up a book from the Romance genre to get romance. IT'S EVERYWHERE. That means there is Paranormal romance.

A Popular/Beloved Character You Dislike:
Cath and Levi in Fangirl.
Harry in Harry Potter.
Gus in and Hazel The Fault in Our Stars.

A Popular Author You Can't Seem to Get Into:
John Green. I've read 3 or 4 of his books, and The Fault in Our Stars was the worst by far. He's funny, but after a few books, you realise his plots are repetitive.

A Popular Trope You're Tired of Reading:
Two boys fighting over the girl, who is 'normal' but has no flaws and HAS TWO BOYS FIGHTING OVER HER WHICH ISN'T NORMAL PEOPLE.
16 isn't the magical age, by the way. Nothing special changes when you turn 16. Your mental state doesn't alter. You aren't more adult-y. Lets mix it up a bit- why not divide kids up when they're 11 or 12, like school does?

A Popular Series You Have No Interest In Reading:
Oh look, we're back to Twilight ( I don't hate Twilight. Not quite, after all I haven't read it.). Also, Throne of Glass. I want to read the series, but I just can't bring myself to and it's very frustrating. Someone help.

A Show/Movie Adaptation You Liked Better Than The Book:
The Perks of Being a Wallflower is the only movie I have ever liked more than the book. I read the book so I could watch the movie (I try not to watch movies before I read the book) and the book didn't set me up for much. I was pretty confused about how the movie would be done. But movie was awesome!

A Popular Style of Cover That You Can't Stand:
Girls in dresses. Do you know how silly a book cover looks when a girl is standing somewhere weird (say, a graveyard or somewhere in the middle of the night or something) and she's wearing a dress? Dresses aren't that practical. Plus her arm is always on some weird angle. Also, I'm not a fan of faces that are on a weird angle and half naked bodies.

I tag a few people:
Alyssa | Annika  | CryptoniteHeatherH.M. Wlison | Jo | Liz  | Serena |

There we have it, the true bookish feelings of Opal have been revealed. Feel free to go ahead and tell me why I'm wrong, or what I should read next :)
_______________________________________________________________________________
Opal got through this tag mentioning Divergent, The Hunger Games or The Maze Runner. She's pretty pleased with herself. 

27 comments:

  1. I didn't really like Matched or The Selection, either. :/ I still admit that I love Twilight (I am the Twilight loner, *sigh*) but I know what you mean about John Green. He's okay. Also, you're so right about book covers with girls in dresses—what drives me even more nuts is that it is the style of like, every single historical Christian fiction novel out there. it makes me want to punch their dresses away. Thanks for tagging me—this looks like fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to understand why you like Twilight :)
      Arg yeeeeessss. All historical Christian fiction pretty much has the same sort of cover- some girl in a dress in a paddock xD
      Welcome, I hope it is! :)

      Delete
  2. this was super fun to read!
    and yes agreed : the girl doesn't ALWAYS need a boy and a boy doesn't ALWAYS need a girl.
    i hope people see how misleading it is because love triangles almost never happen in real life.
    and lol now that you mention it, something major happens to the protagonist at the age of 16. so unrealistic. nothing ever happened to me when i was 16 haha xD
    -nymisha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad! :)
      Love triangles very rarely exist, and if they do, they're not dragged out over three novels xD Nothing happened to me either :)

      Delete
  3. I didn't like Matched or The Selection at all either! Seriously, I couldn't even get through the entire first book of the Selection; it just sounded like a dystopian version of The Bachelor. And Matched was an annoying and forced love triangle series. Ugh. What's up with authors these days?

    And I'm not that into John Green either. I've tried reading his books and I don't like his ever-present curse words and his same old love stories. Everyone acts like he's doing something so new and innovative and different with his books when it's literally the exact same as every other romance story ever I don't understand like am I missing something here...?

    I'm gonna do this tag even though you didn't tag me so as to keep me from ranting more here in your comments section :P

    O | Life as a Young Lady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arg yes, The Selection was like the Bachelor, but perhaps with a tiny bit more class. You're right, Matched just felt forced and silly.
      SAME. Like, yes he writes from a boys POV and he has a sense of humour, but other than that? Nothing to special.
      Please do :) I can't want to read it!

      Delete
  4. I agree with you about the book covers and in the matter that neither a guy or a girl needs a soulmate. Almost all the romance seems really silly to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, and it's dragged out through bad communication and a girl who can't sort her feelings out. The way I see it, if you're in love with someone, then you fall for someone else, you weren't really in love with the first person. If that makes sense?

      Delete
  5. I didn't like Fangirl, either. Like you, I connected with Cath because she's an awesome introverted bookworm/writer like me. However, I hated the love interests and the love web in general-especially because it made Cath do things she wouldn't normally do. I wanted to scream at her that she was perfect the way she was and she didn't need some boy to try to change that for her. Ugh.

    I'm not a fan of paranormal or romance, either. It does irk me that romance is in just about every book I read because I don't want to read about it. What I really want to read about is friendship and family because those are the only relationships I care about. There's no way I'm going to even think about dating in high school. Don't even get me started about books that feature kids dating in middle school. Whaddya think that's going to teach kids? That said, if the romance subplot in a book is clean and not useless, I can tolerate it.

    I'm afraid the only thing I disagree with is pretty dresses on book covers. I love dresses too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES YES YES YES. I felt like Levi forced her into the physical side of their relationship.

      Same. Like, I understand that finding a partner in life is one of the biggest things humans do, but family is always family. And friends are important. And you don't need to worry about finding the 'special' person while you are in high school, a time which is for learning who you are. And dating in middle school/intermediate is ridiculous. How can you learn to be happy with yourself if you are focusing on someone else?

      Haha all goods :))

      Delete
  6. I agree withh you on Fangirl, the plot was just no good. It didn't really reflect the like of a fangirl - yeah, fanfiction, but what about community interaction? And that wasn't the biggest problem either. Levi was just unlikeable. :( And Gus, too. Gus would be likeable if he was more realistic.

    I'm surprised you don't like Harry, he's my favourite in the series. :') Why don't you, just out of curiosity?

    Throne of Glass...oh my. I was skeptical at first, and then I read the first book and I was kind of unimpressed. BUT THEN I READ THE SECOND BOOK. The books keep getting better and better.

    And thanks for tagging me! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who didn't get alongside the plot of Fangirl. Gus was so unrealistic it was kind of funny.
      I don't know... As a kid I loved it, but now I'm older I find him frustrating. Maybe it's just because I can see how complicated things would really be, I don't know :)
      Do they?? I shall master this! :)
      Welcome!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for answering my question! Many people seem to dislike him after Order of the Phoenix, surprisingly, I can see why he can be frustrating. :)

      Delete
  7. I actually love dress covers. Half of my fav covers shelf on Goodreads is made up of that type of cover -- did you see Cait @ Paper Fury's quiz a while back?

    I totally back you on 99% of your other unpopular opinions, though. I've never read ToG, mainly because everyone says it starts off slow, and I am never approaching Twilight or TFIOS. And I am ALL for YA without a romantic subplot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did see the quiz on Paper Fury, and it was right xD

      I would defiantly advise not wasting time on TFioS. YA without a romantic subplot would be awesome :)

      Delete
  8. "Romance is everywhere!" - Someone said! Someone finally said it! Seriously, what is the purpose of having a romance genre, if it's everywhere anyways?

    Ugh, face covers. I have no respect for face covers. I'm sorry, but not sorry. Please put more thought and effort into a cover if you want me to pick it up!

    Mm, I wasn't much a fan of TFioS either. But it was also the first John Green book I read. I'm considering giving him another go. Because he is really funny. I dearly love to laugh. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed!!
      Yes, and it's kind of creepy as well xD
      I would give some of John Green's other books a go, because he is defiantly funny :)

      Delete
  9. Oh goodness, I saw this just a few hours after I posted my own (Cait @ Papefury tagged me), but I will definately link back to your blog when I get to a computer (which will probably be tonight). Anyway, thank you! And it's funny how similar somw of our opinions were (like hating Matched and disliking John Green and Romance). I've actually been wanted to read Miss Peregrin's Home for Peculiar Children, so that's on my TBR, and I may have to add Endgame because I am a secret fan of Hunger Games lookalikes (don't tell). Anyway, I love this post--and thanks again for tagging me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so weird! xD
      Haha I won't tell ;)
      Welcome :))

      Delete
  10. It seems to me that the term 'unpopular opinions' is becoming synonymous with 'good sense'. Opal, you have my respect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow, I only have just gotten through my email and read this. Thanks for the tag! I'm in the same situation as you with Matched. Read the first two, second book lost me, and I have no intention of reading the third.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! I had to drag myself through the second one, I don't think I will even be able to pick up the third.

      Delete
  12. I totally agree about Twilight, Opal. And john green! I'm posting my own version of this tag soon. I also disagree with much of this- like your opinion on Fangirl (although it's been about a year since I read it) I like your summary of Miss Peregrine. have you read the other books?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not the only one! :)
      I'm reading the sequel to Miss Peregrine right now :)

      Delete
  13. Yay, you did it!

    Agh, I severely disliked The Fault in Our Stars. I hate to say hated. John Green is a funny guy, but I can't see myself getting into any of his works. I'm with you on staying away from Twilight and would probably advise you on staying away from Throne of Glass. I have mixed feelings, but it just wasn't worth it in the end. There are better fantasies out there!

    Heehee. You're right. The girl in a dress thing doesn't always make sense. It is kinda pretty though.... :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did!
      Green writes from a boys pov, which is something different, so in that way, I like his books. But otherwise.... :)
      Everyone seems a bit unsure about Throne of Glass.

      Delete