Sunday, July 5, 2015

"Where Do You See Yourself In 10 Years...?"




Dear Adult Opal,

I wonder where you are now? Who are your friends? Are you married (God forbid)? Have you done anything to improve the world?

There's some things I want to remind you, Opal, things that teenage you saw as important, but adult you might have forgotten about. Adults do that, forget to see the important parts of life because they are busy being adult-y, caught up in how busy they are with everything.

Teenage you was a firm believer that people who want to be in your life make an effort to be in your life. Even though she wasn't very good at it, she also knew the opposite was true: if you want someone in your life, you have to make an effort to be in theirs.

Being against evil doesn't make you good. Sometimes, doing nothing about evil in the world is just as bad doing evil. If there is a cause you can stand up for, if you can do something good in this world, do it.

Teenage Opal liked the idea of living a simple life. Half of your belongings should be books. You don't need a big house if you spend enough time outside. Go places, feel your lungs burn, walk through bush and swim in the ocean. Stop for the small moments.

Remember that just because you will do something for someone doesn't mean they will do the same for you. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't do things for people. Giving will make you a million times happier.

Forget what others want from you. Just because they know what they want you to do with your life doesn't mean you should. And if you did, re think it. If you are living someone else's idea of your life, how can you be happy? Don't be scared to make your own way.

Listen to music loud, dance and sing along. Jumping on your bed to the music you love is one of the best feelings in the world, don't lose that.

You can't save people, Opal, you can only love them. Be the person you needed when you were younger. People come and go, there is no glory in being busy.

Stay classy, Adult Opal.

Bon Voyage,
Teenage Opal

_______________________________________________________________________________
Opal is having trouble with the idea that there is no school for two weeks. She's not one to stop working. Where do you see yourself in 10 years? Do you have some things you want to remind yourself in 10 years? If you want to write your own letter, leave Opal the link! 

13 comments:

  1. Yeah, this holiday thing has rendered me quite unproductive (I guessNew Z and Aus have the same holiday periods?). It's odd not to be spending most of my time doing assignments for school. The adult life seems so dull and alien...imagine if your own life was work, taxes and rent? It's good that your reminding Future You of the finer things in life, that luckily we get to enjoy presently. Awesome post, Opal! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they do- they'll be pretty close anyway :) I hope mine or yours life is never all work taxes and rent!

      Thank you :)

      Delete
  2. I <3 this so much!!!! Beautiful letter... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful letter :) I hope you read it in ten years and remember how wise you were ;) I might write my own....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you :) I hope so. Drop me the link if you do!

      Delete
  4. I hope I am not married in the future, either. xD I think, no matter how you turn out, the values and the wordviews you show you possess in this letter indicate that you already have a very clear idea about friends, kindness and the simple life. I really hope that as you grow into a fabulous adult you'll remember the important parts of being a fabulous teenager—I'm sure you'll have a fabulous life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have things I want my adult self to remember, but I have things I want myself to be. More outgoing, less afraid of judgement, more conscious of my health, and even stronger in my faith. And well, I want to be married. I just turned eighteen - so maybe I'm a little older than you? - but marriage is one thing I now hope to have within the next decade. :) I didn't used to think that way though, lol.
    It sounds like you've got some wise advice for your future self. :) Good advice for everyone, actually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As the white, middle class Christian I am, the chances of escaping marriage are very slim, but one can always hope :p It's awesome you look forward to it though :)

      Thank you :)

      Delete
    2. God knows what is best for you, and if that is to stay single then I'm sure you'll stay single. :D

      Delete
  6. I love how you always write these wonderfully deep posts that resonate with me so well. And haha, it seems like everyone's a little terrified about marriage XD And c'mon, half my belongings should be books? Judging by % of income spent, it should definitely be more. (Oh wait, no, I have to pay rent. Dammit.) It sounds like you're having a pretty rad life right now -- hopefully it'll stick until adulthood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm glad you can connect with them :) Haha if 75% of my belongs were books I would be a very happy person, but there are sadly other things money must be spent on.

      Delete