Sunday, September 13, 2015

Snazzy Snippets: When I am Weak

Yay! I love this link up and the best thing is that after mocks I did some more writing on When I am Weak. I lost part of it early this year, which was a total bummer, because most of it was spur-of-the-moment writing, and I can't re write it. *Cries big writer tears*

If you don't know what Snazzy Snippets is, Alyssa wrote this really cool description:

'...It’s an opportunity for writers! Every two months, a prompt or question is posted for you to share a snippet of less than 500 words. It’s designed to let you have fun, analyse your work on a smaller level, or just write something to join in...'


You can link up here! You know you want to, plus I'd love to read some of your writing. I've chosen just one of the prompts this month, and in my opinion, the most important one.

A snippet with food:

Source 
I'm going to be honest with you right now, because this isn't a kidding matter. 

All I’ve eaten for three days is pie. I don't know why, but it is. I’m hungry a lot and it’s the only thing I can seem to stomach. Mum had to go and buy me some because I wouldn’t eat anything else.

Mrs Letts, call me Mell, told me my appetite might change, but she didn’t make a big deal of it. I’m eating at least double of what I normally do. I think my doses might need adjusting or something.

Mum’s worried about me, I know because she keeps hovering. 

‘How about a blueberry one?’ 
‘No thanks mum.’ 
‘Apple?’ 
‘No.’ 
‘Are you sure dear?’ 
‘Mum, I know what kind of pie I want!’ 

If it wasn’t for pie, I would be dead. Pie makes life look better. Hell, even Tim could turn up right now and I would probably smile. 

Or maybe the antidepressants are working. 

No, it’s defiantly the pie. 

So, tell me about food! You favourite? Your least favourite? The best meal you've ever had? Pie? Favourite pie? Are you linking up?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Opal loves food (teenager, duh) but she's not so big on the whole eating thing. It's such a tedious and awkward process. Opal is a fan of salad and pasta. She likes healthy food more than junk food because she's weird. Not that she doesn't like chocolate, that would even weirder. 

16 comments:

  1. Clearly the most important thing is FOOD. Pie is a particularly glorious type -- it's been far too long since I've made any, so perhaps I should make some soon. I adore chicken pie, or mushroom pie. Savoury pies are better than sweet pies IMO, but pie of any sort is fabulous. The idea of fighting depression with food sounds quite enticing, and I look forward to hearing more about When I Am Weak!

    Thanks for linking up with us, Opal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like savoury pies more than sweet ones as well :) Mince and cheese is the best.
      Thanks for hosting the linkup!

      Delete
  2. I love all food but pie is definitely awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes to pie! Probably just as good as antidepressents depending on which one it is. I actually had some peach crumbly stuff yesterday that was kind of like liquid pie and it was delicious. Thanks for sharing your writing with us, Opal! I really like that along with the food, you can sense that there's a kind of tension in this scene, and that things are a little rocky for our protagonist right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. FOOD FOOOD PIE PIEEE <3
    beautiful piece, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "If it wasn’t for pie, I would be dead. Pie makes life look better." I HEAR YA, SISTA. (Or brother, if this character is a dude.) I heartily approve of this (and so would Dean).

    And I love your writing style. It's so engaging and quirky. I WANT THIS BOOK ON MY BOOK SHELF RIGHT NOW YOUR WRITING IS SO GOOD (or maybe that's because it's about pie--).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DEAN WOULD BE HAPPY. Dean is life.
      Thank you haha :')

      Delete
  6. I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I kind of hate food right now. My family has been going out to eat so much lately that my stomach can't take it anymore. That last two sentences in the passage make me crack up (antidepressants?!?!?) XDD

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's complicated haha. I'm not really a fan of eating out :)

      Delete
  7. I LOVE HEALTHY FOOD TOO. Coffee, after all, is made of beans, which makes it a salad.

    But seriously, I love this piece. Like, I love the voice and the tone and the word choices and the pie and the way it makes me wonder what on earth is going on. I need to know the back story. I need to know more about the pie and Tim and....

    Must. Read. More. *dies*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU ARE CORRECT. Coffee is basically a life source.
      Thanks :))

      Delete
  8. I like this. It's funny and I definitely wasn't expecting anything like it! :D And pie. Pie is good (especially if it's peanut butter. . .).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you :) YOU CAN GET PEANUT BUTTER PIE?! Why have I not heard of this before??

      Delete