Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Opal Loves The Great Gatsby


Opal read The Great Gatsby for the first time when she was still homeschooled. It was for English. Opal hated it.

She struggled her way through the whole book like,

And when it was over, Opal put it on her shelf, never intending to pick it up again.

Then one day, out of pure boredom, Opal decided to give it a second chance.

When she finished The Great Gatsby for the second time, Opal realised it was better than she remembered.

And the third time it was even better again and she noticed things she hadn't before.

And after the forth and fifth time, Opal realised she didn't hate The Great Gatsby.

The more Opal read it, and the more she thought about it, the more she loved the story with all it's layers.

THE WRITING. THE CHARACTERS. ALL OF IT.

Now whenever someone brings it up, Opal can talk The Great Gatsby for hours.

What books do you love? Have you read The Great Gatsby? Do you like The Great Gatsby? Have you ever given a book a second chance and changed your mind?

**If you haven't, it would be great if you could do this survey about Opal Swirls!**
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Opal also loves To Kill A Mockingbird/Go Set a Watchman. And anything Ally Carter writes. And many other books. 

18 comments:

  1. Now I need to read this! When I read The Witch of Blackbird Pond initially I hated it, but now I adore it! Isn't it funny how our opinions can totally change?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post. <3 I really need to reread The Great Gatsby this year. *nods* And I think it's really cool that you decided to give it a second chance.

    I can't think of many books I've given second chances too, aside from Mockingjay. I really hated it the first time through, and only fell in love with it on my next reread. I'm super glad I gave it a second chance, and I think it's a really good idea to do that more often. *takes notes*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! The Great Gatsby is the best :)

      I ate the Hunger Games series in like a weekend :') But I get how you might not like Mockingjay first time around :)

      Delete
  3. I attempted reading it...that, and 'The Last Tycoon.' Meh. Maybe I'll try it again. But the writing doesn't hold as much interest to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *whispers* I've not really read any of his other books. But! The Great Gatsby! :)

      Delete
  4. I've read it once, but it wasn't for school. It was alright, I think. I would probably read it again in a few years, but because I was just reading it as me and not for school I probably missed a lot of stuff. It was funny, though, because I totally missed what happened in the ending (being vague to avoid spoilers :) ) and I had to re-read it a few times. It was a fitting end, though. *nods*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree! I like how it's not happy ever after :)

      Delete
  5. You really should study literature, girl. Listen to your grandma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only there was the time to study everything :)

      Delete
  6. I have been debating about reading this book, because I have heard such mixed reviews about it. But now I am curious, and so I think I must give it a try soon. :P I gave Stargirl a second chance, and I'm so glad I did. Now it is one of my very favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YES OPAL. I've been telling people about Gatsby for years, trying to force them to read it. I'm like the Gatsby disciple. >:) The way Fitzgerald writes is just incredible, you know? It's funny how a lot of classics are terrible when we first read them (usually because we're forced to by the system), but then we end up loving them. That was Lord of the Flies for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES everyone should read it :)) I'm yet to read Lord of the Flies :)

      Delete
  8. Gatsby is one of my favorites. Ever. We recently did it for several months in school and working more in-depth with it just made me love it more. *flails*

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read it on my own and loved the writing, but I was so confused by the plot. I didn't feel like it was going anywhere. Maybe I went into it with the wrong mindset. I might try it again someday. :)

    ReplyDelete