Sunday, January 3, 2016

The Adventure of Growing Up



Birthday's are a funny thing, aren't they? Once it was exciting to be a year older, but now that I know age doesn't dictate your growth as a person, I find them less exciting. What they do let you do is see how you've changed year by year, and you can use them as a marking point for change.

Birthday's are also a time for your family to laugh about you as a child, celebrate that they have you and reflect on your changes. So, I have complied a list of 17 Opal-ish things for 17 years- things from the past and things for the future.

  • As a toddler Opal ate the lemons her mother left in a box on the kitchen floor.
  • Opal was hopelessly bossy as a child.
  • Opal's music taste is wide and varied, but most of her music is rock/alternative. 
  • When Opal was 4, the family's pet rabbit died and Opal asked to dissect it. 
  • Opal assumed she would study vet until she started at public school.
  • Hunter has been Opal's for almost four years now.
  • When Opal was 13 she planned the next ten years of her life. The plan has been abandoned. 
  • Once, Opal was taller than her little sister.
  • Opal cannot spell very well. Spell check works very hard for her. 
  • When Opal was 6, she convinced her father to use the kitchen knife to help her dissect a possum. 
  • One day Opal wants to adopt a litter of kittens. Or two litters. 
  • Opal has kept a journal since 2010, she doesn't write everyday, but she's gone through a ton of notebooks. 
  • Opal became an obsessive reader when she got chickenpox and had nothing else to do.
  • Opal has always loved animals, especially horses. 
  • If you live for people's acceptance, you will die from their rejection - Lecrae
  • Group work is a terrifying, awful process for Opal.
  • Face to face, Opal is awkward 100%

Growing up in this crazy world is certainly an adventure. Growing as a person never ends (height does, sorry) and it's important to listen and learn from those around you. Blogging has bought me so many new and interesting friends and I've learnt a lot, so I owe all of you a huge thank you for reading and commenting and being awesome people.

Go say happy birthday to Liz, her birthday was on the first! Do you like having a birthday? Do you celebrate in any way? Cake?! Tell me something interesting about you!
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Opal celebrates with coffee cake, because what other kind of cake is there??

24 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness: HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I loved your list and it made me laugh -- especially this part: When Opal was 4, the family's pet rabbit died and Opal asked to dissect it. I would never have had the guts (ha, ha, get it?) to do that at four years old. xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Haha I'm glad you like it :)

      Delete
  2. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

    That Lecrae line tho :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, Opal ♡
    i enjoyed reading these facts about you! like yeah, planning life then abandoning plan? hehe, been there done that.
    love that quote <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Autumn! Long term plans don't tend to stick *sighs* :)

      Delete
  4. This made me giggle. :)

    Happy Birthday again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday, Opal! Aww, I love reading your blog posts. Sometimes, it makes me think or giggle otherwise :D
    Happy 2016!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I'm glad you like my posts :) Thank you :)

      Delete
  6. Happy birthday! I love how excited you are about cutting dead things open—that's one of my favorite things, too. :D Do you plan on cutting open more dead things in your future?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) Yes, I do like cutting things up (better to cut up animals than humans??), but I'm not sure I'd like to do it for a living? :')

      Delete
  7. Happy birthday! Group projects are the woorrrrrsttt. Spell check is my friend. Thanks for being such a great blogger<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Yes group projects are death :)

      Delete
  8. Happy birthday Opal! Those 17 facts were pretty interesting to read. You obviously like to dissect animals! That's not ever been high on my list of joys! I guess I butchered enough chickens in my young years. After doing 50-100 at a time I kind-of lost any desire I had to cut animals open.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Haha yes, I don't seem to get sick of cutting things up?? I might need help? :)

      Delete
  9. oh my goodness, this is the best post idea ever :) I love how you wrote it in 3rd person!
    Happy Birthday and I hope the following year is filled with just pure wonderful times ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked the post! Third person can be kind of risky but I like doing it :)
      Thank you <3

      Delete
  10. Happy Birthday! And yeah, I totally understand not being hugely excited about birthdays. Honestly, the best part of having a birthday is having a proper excuse to eat lots of cake. Also, I think it's super cool you were allowed to dissect animals because when I was younger and my pet rabbit died, my parents thought I was super morbid for wanting to cut it in half and see inside (so they didn't let me). *sad face*

    Also, thank you for mentioning my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. UM YES. CAKE IS LIFE :)
      My parents through I was morbid too :')
      You're welcome! :)

      Delete
  11. Happy Birthday, Opal! I love your 17 facts, especially the one about dissecting the rabbit. Also, you're not the only one who is shorter than her little sister. My sister is always reminding me about that fact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ally! I thought I might be alone in that one, but I'm glad I'm not! :)

      Delete