Monday, February 1, 2016

Hello February | Recently

January started out a great month, because my birthday was awesome, and the happiness from that day spilled over into the next week, and those days were great, and it was just a great start to the year.

However, my fish, Fish, died on my birthday (arrive with bang, leave with another, I suppose) and I miss him more than I thought I would (okay, so I talked to him when I was getting ready in the morning). I had him for about 4 years, and before that he belonged to some friends, who couldn't remember how long they'd had him. I thought he might be immortal, because he survived every illness (yes, fish can get sick) that came his way. Sadly, he proved my theory wrong.


My sister went on a summer camp, so we drove up north to pick her up. On the way, we stopped a lot, and a five hour journey took ten. But we got to see lots of interesting things. For someone who lives in New Zealand, I haven't seen a lot of it.

I signed up to a writing course at the Library with Rachel and another friend turned up as well, which was cool. It was mostly about Si-fi writing, which I'm not into, but it was fun to read some si-fi and talk about it and give writing it a go.

NCEA (exam) results came out, and I was endorsed with Excellence in Level 2 over all (if you're interested in what that means, try to understand this). Subject wise, I endorsed everything with merit expect biology, which I somehow endorsed with excellence. So I guess year 12 was pretty successful all things considered. I'm now hyped for year 13 (that was sarcastic).


On top of all that, my best friend and I went camping! We did it once when we were like 13, and it was a bit of a disaster, but gave us a lot of laughs. We'd been talking about doing again every summer since, and we finally did it, which was awesome. We went for two nights, and cooked our own food, which was fun.

My family finally invested in a pool, which is awesome because summer is a horrible time for me. I am a winter person. I've been trying out book photography, and you can see the evidence over on Instagram. Also, my mother finally just gave me a date to do my learners, and I passed! Which means I can drive (legally) now.

Due to extra time because of the holidays, in January, I wrote about 15,000 words. Most of them on my new story, which I'm enjoying so far (friendships and winter and criminal operations are fun).

Blogging:
February is where I estimate Hunter's (aka Mouse) birthday to be, and my cat is turing four (that is like 28 in human years!). So I might do a post about him because he is half of my life. Also, guest posts! I'm super excited for the people who will be visiting Opal Swirls in February.

Books:
I started of the year by reading The Great Gatsby because I knew that I would love it and it would be a good start to my reading year. This year, I'm aiming to read 150 book (deep down, I'm aiming to beat last year by making it to 160). So I kicked January off by reading 27 books. Sorry about the quality of the books, not sure why that happened...


Have you had a good start to the year? Have you read any of the books I did? Was your January as full as mine? 
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Opal had a good January, all things considered. Now she has to go back to school. Bleh. 

18 comments:

  1. GAH, you read so many books (AND 15K words)! No small achievement indeed. I read, like, 4.5? Seriously nothing compared to you. I spy Simon Vs and TWATD and ILLUMINAE in your list -- I enjoyed reading all three, what about you? I'm so sorry to hear about Fish *sends love and takeout*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW. I even slept some where in there?? TWATD was awesome! Thank you :)

      Delete
  2. 27 book = impressive. I read a rather sad 14. I want to double that this month if I can. *nods* *faints*

    I'm so sorry Fish died! :(

    Congrats on your exam results!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You go! I wanted to get a head start before school :)
      Thank you :))

      Delete
  3. Whoa, 27 books! That's impressive, Opal:D Wish you an another month filled with books :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 27 books, that really impressive!! I think I read like 3 :) (How did you like The Scorpio Races and Winter? (They're like two of my favourite books ever.))

    Happy birthday, I'm sorry about your fish and congrats on your driver's license!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Scorpio Races was amazing!! Also Winter :)
      Thank you! :)

      Delete
  5. Ugh, my January was so busy and honestly kind of stressful/miserable at times. But I'm hopeful for February. (Also I see you read Illuminae and I adore that book, so *flails*)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, sorry to hear that :/ I hope February is better! :)

      Delete
  6. Sorry your fish died. :( Congrats on your exam though!

    http://hottowncoolgirl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY!

    That's so sad about your fish, I'm sorry :(

    Hahaha it's so funny to me to see you talking about warm weather in the winter since I live in the US. THE OPPOSITES BLOW MY MIND

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU! :)
      Thanks :) SAME. Like, winter during January?? That sounds so weird.

      Delete
  8. Yay for Excellence endorsement . I was 4 credits from excellence for level one last year (though in all fairness I only did terms three and four). I also got my american PSAT results (I'm an international school weirdo) I had a great January! I don't want to go back to cold wintry India after being in sunny New Zealand. I went to an awesome summer course at a museum, and camped on an island in Northland, and I might do my learners test this week before I leave... I've read lots of these books-- I loved Winter and The Scorpio Races especially. This month I've loved Victoria Schwabs Archived books. I also just got Passenger at Whitcoulls which is exciting. Good luck for feburary :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shanti, I was pretty thrilled :)
      Thats amazing! I hope your PSAT results were good?? :) Sounds like you had an amazing January in NZ :) The Scorpio Races were great :)
      Hope you have a great Febuary!

      Delete
  9. Blllaaa school. I start back in a few days. I would be starting Year 13 if I lived in New Zealand, but I don't so I still have a year and a half left. Well done on a merit endorsement! That's great! I love road trips.... this summer I went from Christchurch to Dunedin and back, Auckland to Whangarei and back, and Auckland to just north of warkworth and back (very exciting) Unfortunately, we didn't stop that much... just a few times to get ice creams etc. I really need to work on my learners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow!! That's amazing! I find all the time in the car frustrating :)
      Go for it! Good luck! :)

      Delete