Friday, February 5, 2016

Hit a Reading Slump?



I have the worst reading slumps, at the worst times. Last year, for English we had to turn in 6 "reviews" for credits. It was real life, no messing around, sort of assessment! And just when I needed to be eating book after book, the reading slump hit. Nothing would work! I hated every book I tried! I wasted whole classes staring into the distance.

Fortunately I read a lot most of the time, so I ended up writing my reviews about books I'd read a while ago. But reading slumps are a thing, and the illness is one of the worst things a book lover can catch. I'm not certified doctor, but here's how RSS (Reading Slump Syndrome) works, and how you can cure it.

Reading slump symptoms:
Restlessness when you try to read: 
Eyes not focusing on the words, looking around you rather than at the page.
Disinterest when you try to read: 
Why are you even reading this? Don't you have something better to do?
Staring at a book without reading it: 
Have you been on the same page for way too long?
Frustration when you try to read: 
Wow, have you ever read anything worse or less interesting in your life?
Not being able to settle into a book: 
You want to like this book, it sounded great, but you just can't seem to enjoy it! 

If you have two or more of these symptoms, the reading slump has hit. Symptoms can persist for weeks! Your reading health will deteriorate rapidly. Don't worry, there are cures, although none are proven. You'll need to find what works for you. 

Reading Slump cures:
Do something other than reading:
I know! That sounds awful. But sometimes you need to do something else, like paint or sing or do homework.
Re-read an old favourite:
You might just need to jump-start your love for reading again, and what's better than an old favourite for that?
Try something new (like a different genre):
If you normally read historic fiction, try something contemporary. And vice versa. 
Try an ebook or audio book:
Reading in a different format is another way of jump-starting your love for reading. 

Sometimes it can take a while for the cures to start working, but stick at it. At the time, it'll seem like the end of the world. But once you start to climb out of that dark hole, everything will look much brighter. 

An extra note:
You can also wait it out. I know from experience that eventually, the reading slump will end. And, if you're anything like me, you'll make up for those lost reading hours within a week by not sleeping as you eat book after book.

Have you ever hit a reading slump? What did you do to get out of it? 
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Opal was reading book after book. But then school started and- 

19 comments:

  1. reading slumps are awful! like....there's nothing worse than a reading slump. but those are actually some really great tips! for me, I usually go with re-reading an old favorite. that always seems to work for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arg yes. Re-reading is a pretty solid way to get over a reading slump :)

      Delete
  2. When I have reading slumps, I usually re-read a favorite book of mine. That does the trick most of the time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ack, reading slumps. *headdesk* I had a HUGE reading slump that lasted a couple months for me last year. Eventually I just forced myself to read through and eventually found the love again. I agree with re-reading an old favorite. I like that idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THE WORST :o
      I normally just force my way through as well :)

      Delete
  4. Wonderful blog post! I have had reading slumps when I have a lot of books I should be reading, but don't want to read. When I'm not interested in reading much, I usually just grab a random library book that looks interesting and doesn't take a lot of effort to read, and try reading it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Candice! Oooh a short/easy looking book isn't something I've tried :)

      Delete
  5. I can relate to this. *facepalm* I've been coming out of a reading slump for the past week, and yeah, these methods do work. And if all else fails, it is /definitely/ important to realize you can just wait it out because sometimes forcing yourself to read can also worsen the problem. *nods* But yeah, I always get them at bad moments too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, sorry to hear that! I sort of wait then force myself until I get into the grove again :)

      Delete
  6. I never thought about ways to cure reading slump, so thank you so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh... YES TO ALL!! I despise catching RSS. It's a sad feeling when you hate the very idea of getting sucked into another world! (And it's REALLY bad when you hit a writing-slump at the same time... *shudders*)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES it's awful!! *gasps* thats happened to you??

      Delete
  8. I get reading slumps all the times. I don't think there's a pattern to them. Some months I'll read upwards of twenty books, and then some months I'll read three books. I think when it comes to me... I really just wait it out. Sooner or later I'll find something that will rekindle the love. Then it will be good again! :)

    ReplyDelete