Sunday, February 21, 2016

The 19 Steps of Writing


Procrastination runs rampant when it comes to writing. There is so much to get distracted by, on the computer, and by the environment around you. If you struggle to sit down and start writing, don't worry! I have a 19 step method which leads to a very productive day of writing.
  1. Decide to do some writing. 
  2. Make coffee. 
  3. Open said writing. 
  4. Find cat and have cuddles. 
  5. Reread what you wrote yesterday. 
  6. Cry (repeat step 4 if you need to). 
  7. Decide it's time for a break. 
  8. Drink more coffee (um, 5 cups in one day is perfectly healthy).
  9. Write 100 or so words.
  10. Open up your storyboard on Pinterest (get distracted). 
  11. Take a lunch break. 
  12. Read what you wrote before lunch (and probably delete it). 
  13. It's time to check Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and Goodreads.
  14. Take a nap (writing is exhausting). 
  15. Feed the cat. 
  16. Feed yourself. 
  17. Realise that you're not getting anything done, close the internet window and your writing. 
  18. Wait for 12am, when no doubt, your head will start exploding with ideas.
  19. Get out of bed and finally start writing.  
Do you struggle with procrastination when it comes to writing? Are you going to give my 19 steps a go? 
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Opal swears by her 19 step method. You lose sleep, but it's worth the yawns! 

26 comments:

  1. Oh my, this sounds familiar. Somehow procrastination finds its way into my day, whatever I'm doing. (Like, can you believe, right now I'm procrastinating about having a shower.)

    I don't think I've commented on your blog before, Opal, so let me say now: you have a fabulous blog, and I've enjoyed reading your posts. Keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :')

      Thank you so much Jessica!!

      Delete
  2. SO TRUE!

    hottowncoolgirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. ^literally sounds like my writing process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. THIS IS ME WHAT. except for 4 and 15 as I don't have a cat but I do take care of cats on my Neko Atsume app so that counts right

    ReplyDelete
  5. BEAUTIFUL POST. Thank you so much, this is so helpful. Do you think it'll work if I substitute tea for coffee, though?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so?? I haven't tried it with tea.

      Delete
  6. I love this! :D Writing can be such a challenge, I think this process it just what I need!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is HILARIOUS. Literally cracked up reading it XD

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH NO. I DON'T HAVE A CAT. I GUESS I CAN'T WRITE. GEE, THAT IS TOO BAD. I GUESS I WILL JUST GO ON PINTEREST INSTEAD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sucks, I don't know how you'll live with that :/ :P

      Delete
  9. oh my gosh, so relatable. thank you for creating this XD

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness, this is such a effective method. Granted, I haven't fully been able to use it, since I don't have a cat, but I've done my best to follow the rest of the directions. *nods* But I must get a cat. Because I want to be a true writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A true writer always has a cat. That is how life works xD

      Delete