Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Hello March | Recently


Um, March?? When did that happen? Like, in Febuary I posted and then I went to post again only to find it had been nine days. I'm not sure when that happened?

School has been crazy. It's my last year, and everything is changing. I get to read the notices out in form time. Along with the other two Art's Captains, I did my first whole school speech. It's been one of the hottest summers on record. I'm brushing shoulders with people I never thought I'd be friendly with. My cat lost his voice.

I went to Auckland with a friend from school and her older sister. We went to Rainbows End (basically an amusement park on the smallest scale imaginable) and I did everything they did, despite my fear of heights (okay, so I had my eyes closed). It was a crazy weekend. My phone died on the way up, so I had three 'phone free' days. Sadly, I also have no photos to remember the weekend by.

I'm changing too, last year I slept 5 or 6 hours a night, and that was enough. Now I'm sleeping 8 or 9, even though I don't want to- it turns out I'm low on iron, something that's never happened to me before and is exhausting. I've been thinking about my body and looking after it, paying attention to what I eat, swapping some things out for healthier (vegan if possible) options.

I guess that like most of my friends, I'm starting to make concrete choices about my life and where it's going. I'm starting to use black marker to outline who I am, rather than a crayon. I'm over trying to be someone for the people around me, and I'm ready to be me, even if it means losing some people along the way.


Harper Lee died in Febuary. My mother forgot to tell me and I found out on Facebook. I love both of her books, To Kill A Mockingbird and Go Set A Watchman. Finding out involved running to find my mother, lying on the ground and wailing and thinking about her wonderful writing. I find it hard to believe that such an amazing woman is gone.

We got an exchange student. It was a bit of a sudden decision, but her previous family wasn't working out and we were the other other family that fit her. So far she's settling in really well, and seems to fit into our family. She's going to be with us until November, if everything goes smoothly.

In Febuary, I think I wrote about the grand total of 2,400 words, which I'm pretty pleased with.

Blogging: 
Time ran away from me, and my posts were all over the place in Febuary, despite my best intentions. March will probably be worse, but I'll try to schedule in advance to there is some sort of pattern.

Books:
Somehow, no matter how busy I am, I manage to sneak in some reading- on the bus, or staying up an extra hour, in the car on the way somewhere. Books are something I end to fall back on to recharge, so the busier I am, the more desperately (and faster) I read.

In Febuary, I read a lot of series. The Legend series was so good- I wasn't ready for the end. Also, See How They Run was amazing. Febuary was a good book month (I may have bought 30 books at the library book sale. Shhhhh). I've been trying to read books I would normally pass up (hence all the romance and si-fi).



So! How was your Febuary? Hot or cold? What did you read? How's school? Do you have any pets? Were you sad to hear of Harper Lee's passing? Have you read the Legend Series?
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Opal is writing lists for everything at the moment. There is too much to remember. Lists are good. 

15 comments:

  1. I STILL NEED TO GET 'SEE HOW THEY RUN'

    *cries because school*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Cries with because you are missing out on great writing*

      Delete
  2. Ayyy Maze of Bones, what are you doing here? It was indeed too bad to hear about Harper Lee, but it sounded like her quality of life had dropped during the last few months. :P

    What was your favorite book you read during February?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally got around to reading it! :) It was :/

      I'm not sure tbh- I liked almost every book for various reasons :)

      Delete
  3. How is it already March? That's so crazy.

    Your cat lost his voice? Oh my goodness! How did that happen????

    I started reading To Kill A Mockingbird literally the day before Harper Lee died. It's so awful that she's gone..

    Maze of Bones! Ahhh! Love that book.

    My February was good! Crazy haha. It's been coldddd, but it's finally beginning to warm up which is making me very happy. : ) I didn't read nearly enough this month, which is annoying. Hopefully I'll be able to read more in Mach. School has been overwhelming- pretty sure that my teachers are attempting to drown me haha. I do have a cat!! He is my baby. I haven't read the Legend Series, I may have to pick it up at the library!

    Great post, Opal:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right?!

      I don't know??? Is this something that has happened to someone else?? When he tried to meow he just squeaked.

      I know, it's awful! How are you liking To Kill A Mockingbird??

      Take the heat! Give us the cold :) School, urg. CATS ARE THE BEST.

      Thank you :))

      Delete
  4. My february was pretty good! The weather has been really nice but it like eary good right before a drought or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear it Nabila! I hate that feeling :/

      Delete
  5. I NEED to read See How They Run! I pretty much read All Fall Down in one sitting, and I was going to pre-order See How They Run, but that somehow didn't happen. I'm a bit worried that it won't be as amazing as the first one, but I'm glad you liked it!

    I also need to read the Legend series. I'm glad I'm not the only person who didn't read it when it came out, but now I'm convinced that I'm ACTUALLY the last person to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. UM YES!! ALLY CARTER = AWESOME. See How They Run was great :D

      I thought I was the last! It was great, the hype wasn't over nothing :)

      Delete
  6. Congrats on your writing accomplishment!
    When I found out Harper Lee died, I was so sad. I have enjoyed her writing so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was freezing in February, which was ridiculous since it's never this cold in spring. And congratulations on sleeping more! That is indeed a worthy accomplishment. And ooh, Legend! I have that on my shelf and am planning to read it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish it was cooling down more here! Thank you :)

      I'm not the last to read Legend at all, which is a surprise :) I really enjoyed it :)

      Delete
  8. The Legend series is so good! And so is See How They Run! *fangirls* Also, I think it's hilarious that your cat lost his voice because that happened really often to our old cat. He went almost a full year before he got his back, and then when he got it back he wouldn't stop using it. :P But it was adorable to see him trying to meow without a voice.

    Yeah, I found out about Harper Lee's death on Facebook as well, and I was really sad to learn about it. But I guess I wasn't hugely surprised because I knew she wasn't in good health. But still, it was quite sad. :(

    I actually had a relatively warm February, but it's been cold and rainy for the past couple days. Not that I'm complaining. I do like cold and rainy. But it also means I can't air out the house as much, and I've been really needing to air out the house.

    ReplyDelete