Friday, April 22, 2016

9 Books I'd Want on a Desert Island



I haven't finished Lost, and I'm not sure if I'll ever get around to finishing it. But I have thought about what books I'd want to have with me if I ever got stuck on an island. Considering I hate flying, and plan to keep it to a minimum in my life, I'll probably never end up on desert island, but you never know. It's best to be prepared.

The Great Gatsby By F. Scott Fitzgerald
I love The Great Gatsby to death, and not living with it at my finger tips sounds like hell. In fact, if I was stuck on the island for a few months, I'd probably try to memorise it. Gatsby is such an important character in literature, and every time I reread it, I fall more in love.


Me Earl and the Dying Girl By Jesse Andrews
We all need humour and a touch of death. This book had me laughing out loud, and I don't think that would wear off, even after multiple rereads. I know that lots of people found it too dirty, but to be honest after attending the high school I have for over two years, I just blank it out.


The Bible (NIV) By various people
The Bible is a very important book, and there might be some survival/life tips hidden in there?


How to Survive a Desert Island for Dummies
Technically, this book doesn't exist (from what little research I did), however, if it did, I'd take it. Because if I got stuck on a desert island, my first order of business would be to build a massive sand castle, and I don't think that's the first step to survival.


Hairy MaClary from Donaldson's Dairy by Lynley Dodd
A childhood favourite, and a book that I can read out loud to myself. It never gets old.


Heist Society By Ally Carter
What even is there to say about this book? It's funny and well written and the characters are awesome. It would be good company.


War and Peace By Leo Tolstoy
I haven't read War and Peace, to be honest. But if I was stuck on island, I imagine it would be a good book to have. It's big and complicated from what I understand. And probably heavy, so maybe I'll get muscles from holding it?


Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas
This is probably cheating a little bit, but I'd bet someone would want to take a Harry Potter or Twilight box set, so I want to take my Throne of Glass books. Hopefully I won't be stranded before the last one is published.


To Kill a Mockingbird / Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee
I'm not sure which one I'd prefer to take, so maybe I'll bring both of them. They are genius.



What books would you need on a desert island? Would we take any of the same books? Have you read War and Peace? What series would you want to take? Have you watched Lost? Have you thought about which books you'd want on a desert island?
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Opal thought about taking The Book Thief, but she's only read it once because she doesn't think that rereading it would be nearly as good??   

18 comments:

  1. Ah, yes. The Bible and some sort of survival guide are no brainers. I'm not sure what other books I'd want with me? Some long ones. Maybe the Lunar Chronicles. Ugh, I don't know. xD

    Or I'd just want a computer so I could spend time writing my own. :P

    // katie grace
    a writer’s faith  

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ALSO I'VE WATCHED LOST AND IT'S MY FAVORITEST SHOW EVER.

      Delete
    2. Long books are probably the best idea! I did think of that, but there might not be electricity?? So maybe a notebook instead (or, like, 20)??

      Ahhhhh!!! I was watching it with my family which was frustrating because we always had to stop and talk/complain about it.

      Delete
  2. Whenever someone asks me this question, I'd always say a huge dictionary or something for tinder. Also How to Build a Raft. A survival guide, definitely.

    I've read The Book Thief twice, and I think it was better the second time around, for me anyways.

    And I watched Me Earl and the Dying Girl a few weeks ago, and it was so good that I went and bought the book. I haven't read it yet, but I've been meaning to. The movie made me laugh and laugh (and laugh) and cry and cry (and cry). It was utterly fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A dictionary :') I'm not sure I'd really be able to make use of "How To Build a Raft".

      Maybe I should give The Book Thief another shot, then. Me and Earl and the Dying Girl- YES YES YES. OHMYGOSH. The movie was as good as the book, and I don't say that lightly.

      Delete
  3. Well then, I've never read any of these (besides the Bible), but I do have a survival book that mentions desert islands. I have watched Lost, and thoroughly appreciated your gif use. Charlie is my second favorite character :'( ...I would want to take a survival manual, the Bible, Divergent- just book one, since I'm packing light. I would want the entire Inheritance series....I have The chronicles of narnia, all seven books, wrote in one volume, so its really only one book, so that is a book I would bring ;). And....The Hunger Games. And then I'd bring all of the Infernal Devices. In hard cover editions, because they're beautiful and I need beauty on a desert island.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Glad you like my gifs :)

      Ooooh the Inheritance Cycle is a good one! Those books are so big that they almost crushed me when I was reading them! The Chronicles of Narnia also :)

      Delete
  4. Awesome idea and awesome post! I haven't read any of these before but they look cool!

    Nabila // Hot Town Cool Girl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great gatsby YES Tolstoy YES To Kill A Mocking Bird YES YES and that gary barlow gif??!!!?! I'm dead! lovely, lovely!! (: (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would take the Bible, To Kill a Mockingbird/Go Set a Watchman, The Geek Girl series (Holly Smale) aaaaand The Help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started reading The Geek Girl series a while ago, but I haven't kept up with them :/ The Help is a good one!!

      Delete
  7. I cracked up at the gif you used for the Bible, ahaha. I'd probably bring all three of my adult VE Schwab books ... definitely something Marquez ... I might bring War and Peace, actually, I kind of want to read that one but it'd crush my toes and dreams from the look of it XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just getting started on VE Schwab books :) I know you're a super fan, do you suggest any in particular??

      Yes, my thoughts exactly on War and Peace :)

      Delete
  8. Hey! I just recently started following your blog.
    My 9 books would be: The Bible, An Old Fashioned Girl, my 7 in 1 Jane Austen book collection (yes, I'm cheating), Rilla of Ingleside, The Penderwicks series(cheating again), A Tale of Two Cities and 3 notebooks (one for a journal, one for Bible study notes and one so I could write a novel). Also, if I wanted any chance of surviving I would just have to bring my brothers with me.
    I haven't seen Lost.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey there Eliza! Thanks for the follow :)

    You are a reader of the classics! I can't say I'm much into Jane Austen or Charles Dickens, but they would be good books if you were stuck on an island :)

    I haven't seen all of Lost, but I would defiantly suggest giving it a watch if you think it's something you would be into :) I enjoy the back story we get about the characters, and learning about the different places they've come from.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd bring Harper Lee, certainly. To Kill a Mockingbird is quite good. I don't know what I'd bring with me on a desert island, though. I wouldn't want to come to hate the books I love so well; you know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete