Sunday, May 1, 2016

Hello May | Recently


It's Autumn in New Zealand! Yay! Winter is so close!

I got my university booklet in April, and made some choices about what I want to do next year. They're not set in stone, of course, but I'm going to enrol to do Genetics/Maths/Equine. My mother thinks I'll start classes and want to change, but at the moment I can't see myself studying anything english-y.

I went through a small waffles obsession, and basically ate one everyday for breakfast. I'm now a pro at making them. It was probably healthier than last year when I basically ate cornflakes for a snack, breakfast and lunch for about a month.


I finally went and got my eyes cheeked, because for a while I've had problems seeing the board at school, especially power points. And also it was taking me a long time to read street signs when I'm driving. It turns out that for driving and long distant reading I need glasses. So that's a huge, although not really unexpected change.

School holiday's happened and I sort of got things done, sort of didn't. I wrote a ton of blog posts, which is good because term two is going to be a very, very busy term and I'm not going to have the time to write them. I think I also got about 1, 000 words written, which is better than nothing.

I watched Sherlock, finished the second season of Daredevil, and I'm trying to catch up with The 100. And I rewatched some Supernatural because why wouldn't you?? I feel like I watched to much TV over the two weeks, but I probably won't watch much over the next few months.


I caught up with my best friend, which was awesome, and went to another friends birthday. I also helped run an event for refugee children at my church, which was really rewarding.

My Great Aunt died, which was incredibly sad. While I didn't have a whole lot to do with her, the memories I do have of her are of a woman who was full of stories, love and life. She loved knitting, and my sister and I have blankets from her. The loss of an entire life- she was a mother, grandmother, aunt, sister, great grandmother and friend- that really hits hard.

Books: 
Well, it was a month for bigger books, with several of them having for than 400 pages. Some books stick out, but others don't. Also, as a side note, we're now a month closer to the September release of Empire of Storms *much screaming*



What did you read it April? Have you read any of the books I did? If so, let's talk! Do you have any recommendations? What did you do in April? Did you travel anywhere? How's school for you? What seasons do you like?
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Opal is not sure where the two weeks of holidays went??

19 comments:

  1. I'm sorry about your great aunt :( and UNIVERSITY OMG YOU'RE GROWING UP WOW I'M GOING TO SHED A TEAR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Sheds tear with*

      Thank you :)

      Delete
  2. I read The Winners Kiss and it was so so good. I had MUN+ I went to Delhi to see a sick family friend+ I decided my courses for next year, my final year of school+ I did some major projects+ I read a lot+ I went to the school play+ I did two performances in concerts for choir and orchestra. And now external exams start! ( I have a May-ending school year) I'm kindo of scared for my exams tomorrow, but I'll survive. Thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooohhh I'm desperate to get my hands on The Winners Kiss.

      Wow! Sounds like you had a busy month :) Good luck with the exams!!

      Delete
  3. Opal I'm so sorry for your loss <3 I did read Carry On by Rainbow Rowell which I adored, like all the feels. Lovely update Opal, your pictures are always gorgeous :D

    ~Noor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Noor!

      I can't say I'm a huge fan of Rainbow Rowell :)

      Delete
  4. UGH I ALWAYS FORGET THAT YOU'RE HEADED INTO FALL/WINTER WHEN I'M GOING TO SPRING/SUMMER.
    well, at least i'm not too jealous, although i'm sure the NZ landscape is gorgeous always. =P WAFFLES! they are literally one of my favorite breakfast foods, but i'm the worst at making them. i think our waffle iron is bad. they always get flat and just meh. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. Hemispheres are tricky.

      It is :) Waffles are ammmmazing. That sucks :/

      Delete
  5. I'm so sorry about your great aunt. I've gone through something similar recently so I completely understand.
    I GET SO CONFUSED WHEN YOU TALK ABOUT AUTUMN IN MAY LIKE UGH.
    It sounds like you've had a very full month! In other news I just might have some waffles tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Grace :)
      I know!! I get so confused when you guys start saying 'summer, yay!' :)
      YES WAFFLES FOR THE WIN.

      Delete
  6. I've been watching The 100 with my sister as the episodes come out on Netflix and it's so good. Definitely worth catching up on.

    So sorry to hear about your aunt. My prayers are with your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm almost caught up now, and very happy Lexa died. I didn't like her.

      Thank you :)

      Delete
  7. I am still feeling a bit teary about Noeleen. She was very good and very kind and I think she made a huge contribution to the world through her care for her family and her years teaching new entrants classes in Newlands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was a wonderful woman indeed :) I defiantly cried.

      Delete
  8. I'm sorry to hear about your aunt. :/ Also, I'm glad to hear that you're getting prepared for college. I hope it goes super well for you! And I hope the classes aren't too hard. At least here in the states, most entry-level science classes are designed to make you want to quit, so hopefully you keep up with your studies! What was your favorite book you read this month?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather :)

      I'm sooo excited even though uni doesn't start until half way through Feb in New Zealand. Enrolling and so on starts about Novemeber-ish though I think :)

      Six of Crows was an excellent read :)

      Delete
  9. Sorry about your Great Aunt.

    Hmm... I didn't read anything apart from the Bible and the books I'm studying (The Great Gatsby and New Town Soul).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)

      THE GREAT GATSBY. I'M HERE IF YOU NEED TO TALK. I love it to death :)

      Delete
  10. Hi, your blog is wonderful, I'll SO be coming back!

    I honestly completely forgot that New Zealand has opposite weather. My little mind can never truly register that sort of thing, and I'm gonna go feel mind boggled for a while....

    ReplyDelete