Monday, June 6, 2016

In for the Long Haul? Must Read YA Series: Double Deal


I'm rather fond of handing out suggestions of YA books to read, and I enjoy making lists of said books. So this week, I bring you the first in a series of posts of YA series I would suggest giving a read.

This list is a mix of genres, it's a list of authors who have more than one series. It's amazing that some authors somehow manage to write so much, that they have more than one series published.


Throne of Glass & A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas
Maas is a prolific writer, her books in the last few years have been hitting 600 pages. She writes fantasy, with fantastic world building and a good splash of humour. If you decide to pick up her books, it could take you anywhere from a week (they're addictive) to a few months to finish them.

The Throne of Glass series currently has four books and a novella collection, and the fifth book is on the way (*much screaming*). Each book is bigger than the last. It's a fantasy series, with great world building, characters and plot. It took me a long time to pick up this series, and after reading all of them, I regretted not doing so sooner.

I only read the first A Court of Thorns and Roses book because I love Maas's writing. And the first book isn't really that great, in fact, it's the worst of all Maas's books I've read. However, the A Court of Mist and Fury's themes and character development is mind blowing. Each book is sort of a re-telling. I would warn you that this series borders on Adult rather than YA.


The Raven Cycle & The Wolves of Mercy Falls by Maggie Stiefvater
Stiefvater is possibly a genius. Her writing style is fascinating and keeps you coming back for more. Her books aren't terribly long (and they have pretty covers). Another bonus: both these series are completed, so you don't have to wait for the next book.

The Raven Cycle is a paranormal series you won't forget. I'm yet to get my hands on the last book, but I almost don't want to, because that will mean the end. The characters, the writing and just everything about these books is amazing. Stiefvater has such a unique writing style, which is beautiful to read, so I personally don't really mind when the plot slows down, like it does.

The Wolves of Mercy Falls is Stiefvater's earlier series, based around werewolves (but don't think Twilight), so you don't have quite the same writing style that the Raven Cycle does, but you can see it developing. This series does rely a bit on some clich├ęs, but I really enjoyed the series as a lighter read.


The Ranger’s Apprentice & Brotherband Chronicles by John Flanagan 
Flanagan was instrumental to me as a beginning writer. He had me trying honey in my coffee, making a bow and arrows, and crawling through our garden with my sister in tow. He made me want to write fantasy not unlike his - because obviously, he hasn't written enough?

The Ranger's Apprentice centres around Will, who's grown up as a ward of the state in a medieval-type of world. He's been picked on for being shorter, and basically not built to be a solider, by other boys. However, things start to turn around for him when he's apprenticed to a Ranger (basically a spy, I guess?). We follow Will as he grows and makes mistakes and becomes an adult. I love everything about this series: good themes, character development and clever plots.

The Brotherband Chronicles are set in the same world as the Ranger's Apprentice series, and starts off with a bunch of Skandian boys who are outcasts, because they aren't 'big and strong'. They compete in a competition against other boys their age in the first book. From there, they go on adventures in their ship and save people and just be awesome. I like this series because it's aimed at boys (that shouldn't stop you), and the boy's in the books aren't valued for their strength, rather for their cunning, planning and compassion. Also, ships and a Viking-like culture.


Gallagher Girls & Heist Society Embassy Row by Ally Carter
Oh, Ally Carter. Carter writes incredibly clever books, with witty dialogue and dynamic characters.

An all girls school training spies. Need I say more? I'd say the Gallagher Girls series is Carter's best known series. The writing is action packed, the dialogue is witty. The reader is just as clueless as the characters, and the plot twists just leave you wondering how you didn't see it coming.

A family of thieves. Kat, however, wants out. She's dragged back by her friend, to help steal some paintings back - her father is blamed for stealing them in the first place. With a group of friends, Kat balances relationships and plans a clever heist. The series goes form there. Action packed, lot's of witty dialogue, good plot. When do we get the forth book?

The Embassy Row series is based around Grace, who struggles with her mental health and lives in her Grandfather's embassy. She wants to solve her mother's death, but on the way, lot's of other things are uncovered. This series deals with mental illness really well, both books end with a cliffhanger, and the characters are all interesting.

So! Have you read any of these series? If so, did you like them? Are you the middle of any of them? If so, what do you think so far? What would you add to this list? Do you have a favorite book from each series? 
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Opal did not mean for this post to turn out so long! 

10 comments:

  1. I LOVE Ally Carter's books! My favorite so far is probably the Embassy Row series, but Heist Society is a very close second. I've also been meaning to get back into the Raven Cycle series for ages - I read the first book a while ago, and I just haven't read the rest yet for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY!!!!!

      Read the rest ohmygosh, you will not be let down :)

      Delete
  2. I've read one or two of Ally Carter, and they were great, and I LOVE Maggie Stievater. I didn't like A Court of Thorns and Roses, though. I didn't like the relationship, it was too controlling for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!!

      Okay, the first book is like that (and I didn't like it), but it's all development for the changes in the second book, so keep going!!

      Delete
  3. I've heard lots about the Rangers apprentice series, so maybe I should give it a try. I liked the first three Throne of glass books and The Assasin's blade, but didn't like A court of thorns and roses enough to continue with the sequel. As for Ally Carter, I LOVE her books. The Heist Society books are gold, as are Gallagher Girls. I haven't managed to get my hand on Embassy Row yet, but want to, because my WIP, Entreaty, is set in the embassies of New Delhi (where I've actually vistied once) Anyway, awesome post
    Shanti@Virtually Read

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!
      I didn't like ACoTaR much either, but stick at it, because the second book is waaaaaay better :)
      Ally Carter for life! That is so awesome, what are the embassies like?

      Delete
  4. Is it bad to say that out of all of the series that you have mentioned, I've only read two? I've been thinking about The Wolves of Mercy Falls for summer reading-- I love Stiefvater's writing style, but The Raven Cycle didn't really interest me much, so I'm hoping to read the former of the two before I start up with the later...

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that sucks :/ I love the writing style of The Raven Cycle. The Wolves of Mercy Falls are good summer reading :)

      Delete
  5. I've read Ranger's Apprentice before, and I agree, it's lovely! I've heard a lot about the Gallagher Girls, though, and I'd be curious to try that one out! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yay!! :) Gallagher Girls is defiantly worth a try :)

      Delete