Monday, August 1, 2016

Hello August | Recently



July was holiday time! I had two weeks off school that I thought would go really slowly, but instead I woke up on the Monday of the first week, had a great day and when I woke up again it was Friday of the second week (well, that's what it felt like).

My highlights of the holidays all centre around friends. First, because I stayed with my best friend for a few days and we had a blast exercising her new horse and watching Netflix while consuming a large amount of junk food. Second, because I had a few friends over for the night, a very different group from last year, (I've even written a draft post about it), and I had a lot of fun. This year I've made some really great friends, who work hard, but are positive, and it's really changed the way I look at making friends.


I'm full out studying now, as I'm only 5 weeks out from mock exams and I have to do well if I want to be in the running for dux. One of the friends I've made this year has the same work ethic and way of studying as me, so we studied in the holidays together. We also study at/after school sometimes.

I got most of my results for the last term back in the first week of school, and they were all good! It made me really happy to see all of my hard work in good grades. Football is going okay, we aren't doing terribly well this year, and we also haven't gotten to play many games, so it's a bit disappointing.

I went into town on Friday night for an hour or so with a friend to go to the night market. I bought food and then I ate it while growling at my statistics book in frustration. Good times. The holidays also gave me some time to do art and practise my goalie skills for football and listen to new music.


I wrote 1.4k words over July, which isn't bad. Best of all, the Write the World magazine arrived in the mail for me (for free!) and it's so beautiful. AND MY WRITING IS IN IT!!! I honestly never thought I'd see my writing in a publication while I was in high school, but it is!!! I basically died of excitement.

Considering I had two weeks off school, I got very little reading done in July. And it took me a week to finish Siren's Fury. Some books were bad (looking at you, Destination Unknown), and some were good (Ivory and Bone). All things considered, it was the best of reading months, it was the worst of reading months (bad reference??).



So tell me about you! What did you read in July? Have you read any of the books I did? If so, let's talk! Do you have any recommendations, please? because I am in need of good book! What did you do in July? How's school for you? Or are you on holiday? Have you been writing? What music would you suggest to me? 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Opal has less than 44 hours of each class left in high school! 

22 comments:

  1. I always forget that it's switched from US schedule in NZ ^_^ Hope you do well in your finals! YOU'RE ALMOST DONE WITH SCHOOL WOOOOOT!! That's so so so exciting. I'm dreading the fact of going back to school soon but oh well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a beautiful Tale of Two Cities reference! XD It sounds like you have a really lovely month. So exciting that you're almost done with school!! I live in the US, so I've been on summer break, and I'm dreading going back. I haven't read any of those books, but I'm going to look some of them up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hope you find something in those books you like :)

      Delete
  3. All my NZ friends are panicking about being in their last year too. I just started my last year last week. I read the Curse Workers series in July, And I loved A Gathering of Shadows, Shadow Scale, The Inside of Out and Faking it this month. I'm really likeing my classes-- I'm taking three english classes plus doing newspaper club (I'm the editor! Yay!) and short fiction writing club, and trying to work out how to fit in community service into that somehow... I really reccommend The Intern and Faking It for you :) I'm trying to plot out my next writing project that isn't for school-- it'll be a contemporary about frinedship in an international school or a fantasy set in a mountain inn with conspiracies... I just need toplan it. And I also want to find some critique partners for Entreaty, my dystopia, so we'll see
    Sounds like you had a great July, and good luck with term 3!
    Shanti @Virtually Read

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW! You are so busy! I've read The Intern but I'm not sure about Faking It :)

      Delete
  4. You can survive the last 44 hours of each class! And, ahhhh, you got published! That is exciting! Congratulations!!!

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
  5. FREN. You are in high school??? I thought you'd graduated college already or something oml. I'm horrible at guessing people's ages - I once thought a 26 year old was 12.
    CONGRATULATIONS ON GETTING PUBLISHED, DEAR!

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha this made me laugh so much. People think I'm way older than I am most of the time :)
      Thanks!!

      Delete
  6. I have read The Divergent series last month. This month, I hope to read The Scorpio Races, Apple and Rain, Maze Runner and more. The library is full of treasures...

    I'm glad that you've made some more friends. Sounds fun :)

    Also glad that you're studying. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice!! The Scorpio Races is such a wonderful book, I hope you enjoy it!
      Thanks Grace :)

      Delete
  7. I think it was in June, not July, but I did read the Captive Maiden and loved it. If you liked that one you should read the other books by that author. They are very good. In July I got married and honeymooned and sobbed when I had to go back to work (true story bro). I was utterly confused for a moment when I had the word football but the picture soccer in this post, but my brain kicked in and I remembered. *airhead* I have a story idea currently. I haven't begun writing the story yet, but I've been writing a good bit of outline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU. It sounds like life is going good <3

      Delete
  8. That painting is so beautiful ;D did you use watercolor? I've been doing some watercolors recently, and published a post with some pics of them ;).
    -Mic from Mic's Room (https://lovelypinkduckshome.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I did indeed. I'll have to check your post out :)

      Delete
  9. Hanging out with your friends sounds lovely! Alas, I haven't read any of the books that you read this month, but I recall seeing a few floating around Goodreads (one of them, at least, was notable because you didn't like it very much, lol). Right now I'm on a quick rereading kick, but if you haven't checked it out, Vicious by V.E. Schwab was amazing all over again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to read more V.E. Schwab! I really enjoyed the one of her's I read (can't remember which one it was tho).

      Delete
  10. I've read some of those books. I loved Storm Siren, but Siren's Fury kind of fell flat for me. How did you like The Girl from Everywhere? I've been looking forward to that one.

    I start school back in a couple of weeks and I am sooo excited :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! It took me much longer to read. I loved it! :)

      Delete