Sunday, October 9, 2016

The Wisteria Writer's Tag


The lovely Morning and Autumn tagged me for this, thank you! Basically there are 10 writing related questions to answer, and you tag other's to answer 10 questions too. So, without delay!

Morning's Questions
Take your most despised store. Describe what it looks like and why you hate it. Now, imagine your protagonist and antagonist of your current WIP visiting the store for the first time, separately. How would they react, and what would they buy? 
My most despised store is a pet store chain, Animates. It smells like a mixture of animals and it has small cages with glass fronts. My antagonist would buy dog treats and try to ignore the scene around him, rationalising it somehow. My protagonist would take a long time looking at the animals, and feel disgusted about the cages. She wouldn't buy anything, due to not having a pet.

Do you have quirky writing rituals you need to in order to begin writing? If you do, describe them.
I wash my hands. I wander around for a minute or sit down and think. I also like having coffee.

Which of your characters from your WIP embodies what your entire writing process resembles?
My writing process is somewhat messy, as I do not write linearly. No characters jump to mind to match that.

source 
List the top three writing conferences you'd want to visit.
No idea - we don't really have any in New Zealand.

If you had to collaborate with a published author, who would it be and what would you two write about?
Sarah J Maas, and we would write about sad, yet strong men and women who are tied together by love. Or F. Scott Fitzgerald (if he was, you know, alive).

Your sources of inspiration?
Life, the people and interactions around me.

Quick! You're on a five minute break from editing- but your first choice of food to snack on ran out! Name your other two brain foods.
No coffee?! What is this?? I'd probably eat an apple or just grab a glass of water instead.

What's a writing-related question that bothers you when people ask?
"What do you write about?" I don't know why I write what I do (most of the time), and I absolutely don't want to talk about it.

List two songs that would describe both the good and bad sides of your deuteragonist.
I'm not going to lie, I had to look up that the deuteragonist is the second most important character. Cosmic Love (Florence + the Machine) and Daddy Issues (The Neighbourhood) would be a good place to start.

Up to this point, what is your current word count for this post?
Not very much, I try not to ramble in posts anymore. I'm guessing 700 tops for Morning's questions.

Autumn's Questions
Which do you look up more often, the dictionary or the thesaurus? 
I am always googling how a word is spelt because spell check can't help me. Does that qualify as a the dictionary? 

What inspires you to write? 
As said above, life and people. Especially people. 

source
What do you write most? (Short story, poems etc.?) 
Novels, I guess, followed by my dabbling in poetry. 

Do you use Pinterest to help you write?
Of course! I use it for building storyboards of people, places and moments (check out my current wip here). 

How do you deal with writer's block?
I don't. Currently my method is to write when the mood strikes me and not to worry about it the rest of the time. This is born out of the idea that currently I write because it's something I enjoy, nothing more. 

When did you start writing? 
I started writing seriously in my early teens, but I'd always written in journals and so on. 

What is your favorite genre of writing?
I'm sold on writing contemporary at the moment, but I also like writing fantasy. However, I like reading fantasy more than contemporary most of the time. 

How has writing influenced you?
It's made me look more closely at the people around me, and at myself. It makes me very self reflective. 

When/Where do you write best?
In bed, in the morning, which is a massive change from a few years ago, where I was writing in the lounge late at night. 

Do you snack while writing?  
Sometimes, but I'm more into having a cup of tea or coffee or a drink of water. 

Opal Tags:
If you are a writer, you! 
I'm going to ask you to answer the same questions I did, you can pick the ones Morning or Autumn wrote, if that's okay. 

Are you a writer? Do you write outside of a blog? Are there songs that make you think of your characters? Leave me the link if you do this tag! 
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Opal feels like she hasn't done a tag post in ages? 

14 comments:

  1. YAY!! I'm so glad that you did this tag. I loved reading your answers :) AND YES I pretty much think that contemporary is my style of writing more than anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading your answers! I definitely write in bed as well, and I think I'd love to write with Terry Pratchett :)
    I did this tag here!

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've ever read any Terry Pratchett?? I'll check yours out!

      Delete
  3. SARAH J MAAS YESS. florence + the machine are lovely <3

    evelyn clickman @ if these stars shall fall

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh this was so much fun to read! And I hate when people ask what I write about. It's honestly the worst question ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Glad you enjoyed the read :)

      Delete
  5. I LOVE THIS TAG AND YOUR ANSWERS AHH. Writing in bed is the only way I know how to write, writing on a desk? i couldn't imagine.

    ~Noor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU <3 It's way different from writing in bed.

      Delete
  6. I used to write on Wattpad but that place is not what it once was...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never really been able to get into Wattpad :/

      Delete