Sunday, January 1, 2017

Hello January | Recently

HAPPPPYYY NEW YEAAAR!!!!!

December turned out to be a busy month, which was good, because I'm a little lost without any set study to do. I got to do lots of cool things, with different friends which was nice.

I had an exam to start the month of, which kind of sucked. Afterward I went and talked to my teacher and it was great to feel like two adults just catching up on life, which is all, like, legal and stuff now that I'm not a student. That was followed that weekend by a party to celebrate our leaving school.

I then said goodbye to one of my good friends, as she headed off to Auckland, where she is studying next year. I was really hoping she'd chose to stay local but she was keen to be in a big city. After that was sign out and leavers dinner. Sign out is basically picking up a yearbook and confirming the years results. My friends and I spent a good few hours at school, saying goodbye to teachers and friends and signing yearbooks. Leavers dinner was a blast, and we finished by taking a ton of photo's.


It was my friends 18th, so we went on an overnight camping trip which, as you can imagine, was full of laughter, jokes, and a sort of sadness to think that we are all so good together, but are splitting up to different universities. I personally have really come to have a deep fondness for my friend group.

I then went to my best friends for a Sunday afternoon, which was awesome. I drove there myself, it's a 40 minute drive, all open road. It was my first serious trip by myself, so I got to feel very grown up and stuff. Later that week, we went to Wellington together and had a blast shopping, browsing at super expensive shops and sitting on the water front.


In between all of that, I got my ears pierced, booked my tattoo, finished the first draft of my novel, began studying out of a first year calculus textbook, tutored and read a pile of books. My TV watching this month has been Shetland, Luke Cage, Supernatural and New Blood, all of which are excellent shows.

Just before Christmas, my family set of to the South Island, where we're spending two weeks on holiday. We're doing lots of cool stuff, and I'll try to keep up with posting on Instagram if you want to see what we're doing (find me here). I'm turning 18 in a few days as well!


Because I was not going to fail at my Goodreads Reading Challenge, I set out to read all month, and made it on time. Nothing like a reading goal to kick you into action, am I right?


Talk to me! How was your Christmas? What have you been reading? What did you and your family do over the break? What have you been watching TV wise? What music are you listening to? Did you do any writing? How has life been exciting for you in December? What are you looking forward to in January and 2017 in general? Any goals for the coming year?
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Opal is exhausted just from writing about December!

20 comments:

  1. Hey Opal! It sounds like you did a LOT of stuff this month! Congrats on finishing your reading challenge -- reading so many books in a set amount of time isn't easy. I like the photos in this post, too. ^.^ By the way, do you live in NZ? My cousin lives there, and my family went to visit a few years back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Grace! I do live in NZ, and it's a wonderful place to be :)

      Delete
  2. HAPPY NEW YEAR. :) I can't believe it's 2017 already. And we're 18 already! I'm, like, a legal adult soon? I can't wait. Well done on your goodreads challenge. I think mine was a little too ambitious with 40 books, I had no idea this year would be so busy. What were some highlight books? We might have some in commom! I finished Gemina today, so thus brgins the 2017 challenge. :') Did you like The Cursed Child?

    Hope 2017 is a great beginning for you and your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy new year!! I knnnooow - time just keeps speeding up!
      Thank you! The Cursed Child was okay for me - but I tend to read plays anyway. I think it relied a lot on "special effects" so to get the full impact, you'd have to see it performed. I'm excited to read Gemina!

      Same to you!

      Delete
  3. HAPPY NEW YEAR!! + happy birthday!! also, super excited to see where God's taking you! also, what kind of tattoo did you get? i'm thinking about getting one after i turn 18.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rachel! I got a yacht, which my friend designed for me :)

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year's, Opal! You certainly pushed a ton in your last month-- I wish I was that productive. Ooh, a tattoo! Of what, exactly? Personally, needles are terrifying, but you have to admit they're pretty cool.

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My tattoo is a yacht :) you don't see the needles, it's more like a pen (in NZ anyway), so not much to worry about there!

      Delete
  5. Wow, Opal, you had a pretty busy December. I did too, I guess. I finally finished my uni applications (part one) yesterday, and stayed up late harry-pottering, and got a phone for Christmas and interviewed heaps of people for my research project and knitted and read and al the good things. Good work finishing school! What are you planning to do in uni? And what sort of tattoo are you getting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!! That all sounds so exciting!
      I'm going to do a Bachelor of Science, majoring in Math. My tattoo is a yacht :)

      Delete
  6. Wow! What a busy and awesome time. I stopped by to let you know that I am back. I had my extended break and I am so ready to start blogging once more. Just thought I'd let you know. :) I can't wait to catch up with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year! My friend read The Fill-in Boyfriend and really liked it ;).
    Ranyel x
    www.nocaremoreflare.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy new year! It wasn't a half bad book :)

      Delete
  8. Happy New Year! 2016 was bad and good so thank God it was bearable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Opal! Daaaaamn what a productive December!!! Congratulations! Also super pumped I found your blog :D Just something about NZ bloggers I guess *happy shrug* Can't wait to see what you're up to/ have planned in 2017!! God bless, and godspeed in this glorious new year!
    xx
    Steph
    strictlystephanie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Yay! I'm pumped you found me too :)

      Delete
  10. Oooh, Graceling and Fairest! What did you think of them? And also, I feel the bittersweetness of a friend who moves away to go to school My best friend is off having school in the same state, but still a pretty decent drive away. Thank goodness for social media, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Graceling was a reread I've been meaning to do for a while, and Fairest was an eye opener :)

      Yeah, I feel that so much. Social media is a lifesaver in these situations!

      Delete