Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Hello August | Recently




The most exciting part of my month is that I have moved out of home! It all happened rather suddenly. I had been on the look out for a flat for a while, but it was proving rather hard (mixed flats are standard these days, which is a tricky issue). Then everything fell into place with a flat that I could afford, was all female, and has a bus stop to uni right outside. 

I also spent a week volunteering at the community centre, which reaches out to families in need. I helped run a holiday program for the kids. It was messy and noisy and exhausting, but also rewarding. For most of the kids, the holiday program is the only time they get to do things like skating and swimming - for many of them, it was a first time thing.


It bought me so much joy to see the excitement on their faces. One of the little boys came in on the second to last day and just hugged me without saying hello, which was one of my highlights. The girls always wanted to hold my hand, or sit on my knee. It was strange to be looked up to, and really cool to help them during the compulsory math and music classes. 

Mostly it showed me how important it is to have something for these families to reach out to. One of the workers told me that the first week she worked at the centre, she went home and cried every night because of the stories that came through the door. These kids are growing up in a completely different world from me, which I knew existed but now I've seen first hand.


My break was over much faster than I thought it would be, a month seemed like a long time! Being back at uni is good though, I have mostly cool classes. Seeing my friends everyday again is nice too. And now that I'm living in town, it's easier for me to pop around and see them or catch the bus with them.

Other than that, I was sick, I went rock climbing (and survived!),  and even got some reading and writing done. I also realised that in 12 weeks, my second semester of uni will be over, and I will have done a year! Pretty scary stuff. All up though, July was a good one. 

So, that was July! Tell me how yours went! What exciting things happened? What have you been reading and watching? What cool stuff is going on?
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Opal had a busy July!

10 comments:

  1. That sounds so awesome, Opal! I'm so glad you had a good holiday :) Hope you're doing well at uni!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, sounds like you've had a crazy month! That's so exciting that you moved out! :) Have a lovely August!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY. Congrats on moving out, that is such a huge accomplishment! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's exciting that you've moved out! It was interesting to hear about your month :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Opal, your July sounds so productive! I love little kids, but the feeling that they look up to you is equally humbling yet daunting.

    xoxo Abigail Lennah

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds really busy! Moving out of home must be scary--I'm going to do that in a few months. It sounds good, though. I love rock climbing! My school had a wall (it was a private school that clearly had too much money) so I climbed a lot. I was a camp leader for a camp that had kids from quite poor homes last year. I learned a lot from it.
    Daylight Differentials

    ReplyDelete
  7. Moving out sounds scary yet intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on getting a good apartment! I'm worried it will be nigh on impossible for me to find a good apartment when I get around to moving out. :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so cool that you did volunteering! Congrats on moving out. :)

    Nabila // Hot Town Cool Girl

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds like you've been busy! Congrats (I guess?) on moving out: it sounds both intimidating but also fun!

    ReplyDelete