Friday, October 11, 2013

2d and 3d Characters

Whenever I start to think about my characters for my latest WIP (work in progress), they always start out as what I call a '2d character'. They might have a face and name, and I might have a vague idea of how they tick.

For example, I'm about 6000 words into my first ever try at mystery writing. My main character is called Amy. When I first thought about her, I knew her mother had died in a car crash, and that she went to boarding school. I knew her dad would be a painter, and that the story would be set in the summer holidays.

She was a flat character. I'm a visual learner, so I saw her as 2d. She had a face, but no background, no depth to her. So started to build her. Her mothers death would have scared her - how did she behave as a result? Is she a good artist like her dad? Would she be close to her dad because she doesn't have a mum? Does she like talking about her mum?

Slowly I began to build her. She went from a face with a name, to a person with feelings, likes and dislikes, and behaviour patterns. She became interesting, someone real people could emphasise with.

Its like a clock. You see the face of the clock, but whats behind the face of the clock is what makes it tick - just like a person. No person is just a face. They have things that have effected the way they behave, what they like and what they don't like.

No one wants to read about a flat character. They want a someone they can laugh and cry with, someone who could be their best friend. And when we write the story, we should be laughing and crying to.



No comments:

Post a Comment