Wednesday, December 18, 2013

The Mystery of Writers Block


You want to know something weird? I never had writers block when I wrote my first novel, Whispers. And right now, I'm working on the sequel, and I still haven't hit that wall.

When I was writing Whispers, I took some time out to read about ways to bust writers block. It was a just-in-case measure. It left me in fear. I was worried than when I began the next line, I would just stop. I wouldn't know what to write next.

The more I thought about it, the more and more terrified I became. So terrified I almost stopped writing. I didn't want to get writers block, and I figured the way to stop it happening was not to write. Stupid, right?

Writers block was looming at the back of my mind, breathing on my neck. It made me type faster.

It's not like I've never had writers block before. Often, I stop writing the story when I get writers block. My mind can't see where this is going, the idea is stupid. I have nothing more to write. I put my pen down, and eat cake until I feel better. Who wouldn't?

I have my own theory about writers block. Personally, for me, writers block is a frame of mind. I'm into the whole mind thing. It fascinates me. For example, my sister hates mince, so she wont eat hamburger patties. However, she loves Spaghetti Bolognese, and my mum puts mince in our Bolognese.

You see, this dislike for many foods is in her mind. She doesn't like melted cheese, but she melts the cheese onto toast as a snack. It's incredibly illogical.  And it drives me bananas. Mum says just to let her run with it, because she was like that at my sisters age.

I have come to a conclusion. What you do or don't like is all in your mind. And if you have enough will power, you can over come it. For example, I'm not fond of broccoli. However, when my mum makes it, I eat it. I don't like it, but I eat it.

Take that, broccoli.

When I let the thought of writers block creep into my mind, it scared me. So instead, I took to a new tactic. I just laughed and said 'There is no way I'm having writers block.' I literally forced myself to charge on.

Some mornings I'd wake up and be like 'I wrote the part I liked yesterday. Todays will be boring. All I seem to do is write, write, write.' I would immediately repel this with the want to finish Whispers. I wouldn't let myself not want to write. I pushed myself forward with a relentless drive.

You can't let it win. As soon as you stop, or begin to think 'I have no idea what I'm going to write' you're letting writers block wind its evil tentacles around your mind. One way to deal with this is to keep writing. Something - anything, until you reach your word goal for the day. It could be 'the cat sat on the mat' over and over. But its writing, right?

So I have come to the conclusion that with enough self will, you can overcome writers block. Writes block is still a mystery to me, and I have no doubt one day it will creep in.

Until then - push forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment