Tuesday, December 30, 2014

2014: Try

The end of year is a weird time for me. I like to look forward at possibilities rather than back, but at the same time I like to learn and you can learn a lot from looking back. So here goes.


My word for 2014:

TRY.

I decided to keep my word for 2014 a secret, and just act on it. I have, at least I hope I have. I did athletics day at school, I worked hard on my NCEA, I've been trying to be a good friend. I've been trying to stay close to God. I've been trying to be the person I want to grow into. 

Here's what I've learnt this year: 

School: 

Getting up every morning at 6:30 am and not getting home until 4pm is hard. 


But learning is rewarding, finally grasping a concept is rewarding. Knowing those with the same interests and coming in contact with them everyday is nice. Always smiling is hard, and sooner or later someone will give you a reason to. 

Family: 

It's been a hard year for my family. Being in a family is work. Hard work. But you are there for them. And most of the time they are there for you. In the end, blood makes you related, loyalty makes you family. 
That is all. 

Friends:

Friends are important. My best friend is even more important. She's awesome. We don't get to see each other very often but we still email and DM on Twitter. We've been (slowly) growing more adult. We even talk feelings sometimes. Awkwardly. 


Friends are good to. They are good over the internet, they are good in real life. They make you smile but they don't know you well enough to really hurt you. Some of them you grow closer to, and thats okay.

Writing:


Writing is a constant challenge, and no matter how angry I get about terrible writing, in the end I am even worse if I don't write at all. Sometimes I get stuck and that is okay. 


It's important to keep some kind of journal where you can write out those horrible feelings and nice thoughts. You don't have to write in it everyday, but once a week is good. Whatever I write, it should be honest.

Blogging:

I've learnt to be myself, to write honestly. Sometimes it's good to relax and use gifs and write as it comes into your head then hit 'publish' without proofreading. 


Who are we kidding. I don't know when it's not okay to use gifs.

God: 


You know? 

Trying: 

Trying to new things is hard. But sometimes, when you try it amounts to something bigger - not just in football, but in life (YEAH CHELSEA!).


Like I said before, I did athletics day at school, even though I'm useless at it. I gained points for my house through this and other various activities, and you know what? We won the house competition. I did something that feed into something else, something bigger. I think life is like this.
Every time I hesitated this year, I remembered that I was trying, and I would take a leap of faith. It has paid off in so many ways. I have made some friends, I've done well in NCEA and I have tried new things.

This year hasn't been the best year of my life, like I thought it would be. 2015 will be great, 2016 will be even better. Each new year teaches me something and it is almost unfair to compare them. 
How was your 2014?

8 comments:

  1. This is a cool review of your year! I like how you divided your thoughts into subsections, which is really cool... Even though it wasn't the best year ever, I'm glad you learned from it and I hope your coming years teach you just as much! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Every year I used to think 'this will be my year' but now I just think 'every year is my year because I always learn something different.'

      Delete
  2. That was a really neat post. I loved all the GIF's... they're so hilarious :P 2014 started out as literally one of the worst years for me, but I've learned that through God and ditching fear, life is actually quite a joy. Lovely post <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks! :)
      I've been learning the same thing :)

      Delete
  3. I have to say, excellent gif usage -- I was chuckling all the way through this post. You're right, trying gives us a whole realm of new possibilities! Hope 2015 is a wonderful year for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That writing gif (in fact, all your gifs) are perf. :}

    Lovely post dear. <3

    xx Nicole Rose

    ReplyDelete