Wednesday, December 31, 2014

2015: Pause

Today is the last day of 2014. Tomorrow is the first page of 365.

I am still back in 2012- or maybe I wish I was. The last year went to fast, it was like a blur, a weird dream. This year, I don't want that to happen. I want to be able to look back, and remember moments clearly. I'm going to be turning an age I would rather avoid, but I want to be able to look back on this age and remember it.

This year, I want to pause.

When I get off the bus for the first time this year, I want to pause. When I step into my first class, I want to pause. When I share my first laugh with friends, I want to pause. When I'm writing an essay, I want to pause. When I get out of bed at 6:30 in Winter, I want to pause. When am walking home, I want to pause.

I want to store up the little moments, to look back at them and smile, collapse in bed at night and remember stopping to enjoy learning or walking somewhere. I want to live each moment, and be aware of it.

Last year, I tried, and stretched my comfort zone. Now I want to pause and enjoy my new zone.

This year (if you hadn't already guessed) my word will be pause.

Pause
verb
To interrupt action or speech briefly.

Do you have a word for 2015? What is it? Why would you/wouldn't you have a word for the year? 




- If this isn't clear, rather than just write down a list of things I want to do/achieve each year, I have a word, and I base my actions off it all year. Sometimes I have a list based around the word, but mostly I just keep it in the back of my mind. Last year, I made quite a lot of decisions based on my word, try, and it really stretched me. If you fail year after year (like me) to complete your new year resolutions, I would highly recommend picking a word instead - 

12 comments:

  1. The idea of a word is cool, and I like yours—in a fast paced world like this it's tricky for all of us to sit down and take it all in, it's super important to pause and to remember what's important. Good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I'm definitely going to try to have a word. Maybe for me it would be, courageous? Or maybe it should be more like a command type of word... like, fear not. But that's till two...hmmm.. This post was really inspirational. I'm going to try to do that, just pause and enjoy the little things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure it matters that it comes in two words :)

      Thanks!

      Delete
  3. I have yet to think of a word. But I will have one. I like how you have said pause, just to take in those moment's that you would miss, or push aside... Every inspiring. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I tend to do everything as quickly as possible in the most efficient way, so hopefully this will force me to slow down a bit :)

      Delete
  4. Oh wow, that's a really cool twist for the typical new year's resolutions. I think my word next year might be 'spark', looking at my own list of resolutions; it basically boils down to doing more interesting things. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was quite struck by the idea when I first heard of it as well :)
      Haha I might have to work on that in 2016- I tend to play safe xD

      Delete
  5. I like the idea of picking a word to live by for the year. It's simple yet broad, allowing for a greater amount of change in your life than any list of resolutions could produce. Personally, I think the word pause is an excellent choice. We don't stop to listen and enjoy our everyday moments enough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The idea of picking a word to focus on is really neat. I still have a New Year's Resolutions list, but through looking at my goals for 2015 I can definitely see a recurring pattern that can be summed up by one word: brave. I hope to be brave, try new things and reach for high goals instead of being too scared to try something. For example, I will be tackling the novel editing process. If editing goes well I may even start querying agents this year. I'll be brave in submitting my writing to magazines and contests. And a bunch of other things non-writing related.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brave is great thread to have through your New Year's Resolutions!

      Good luck with the editing and querying! And submitting your writing to magazines and contests- so far I've only been brave enough to look at websites and read the submission rules xD

      Delete