Thursday, February 12, 2015

Life Lessons: Jeremiah 29:11

Credit
In 2014, I started at a public, coed high school. I had been home schooled for the four years previously. The year had it's challenges, the biggest being how to make friends (and not because I have no social skills, thanks).

In the end, I settled into a group of people who are nerdy, sort of sporty and the most mixed group I've ever meet. One day, they will be arguing about politics, the next the smallest member will be picked up and carried around while he poses like superman. There are writers, musicians, scientists, smart and average. It doesn't really matter who you are, and thats the best thing.

I didn't assume anything would change this year, and I was wrong. It was silly of me, really. I was new last year, and there would be more new people this year. What I didn't expect was that the other girl in my year, in my form class would change school. And that she would would be replaced by two other girls. And that, suddenly, I was the one who could hand out directions, who knew who the teachers were and wasn't considered as the new kid.

I still remember all to well what it was like to come in as a new kid. And I remember what didn't happen, and how I was to shy to change any of it. And I remember the first and second people to invite me to hang out and now I hang out with the two of them everyday. While I color coded my time table, all of this was going through my head, and I knew that I should do what I wanted someone to do on my first day.

So I said hi, and introduced myself. I asked to compare timetables. I asked where they had come from. Then I told them where to find me to hang out. I was kind of disappointed that neither of them turned up at lunch on the first day. Then on the second day, my first two classes were with one of them. So I walked with her from class to class, and I sat next to her, introduced her to my other friends.

When the bell went for the first break, I could see the panic on her face, and so I just said 'you coming?' And she followed me. The same happened at lunch. For me, I was able to give someone what I had so desperately wanted on my first few days. And I could see that she was unsure and uncomfortable with all these new people, and that was me six months ago. And I know within a few weeks, not being able to find her classes won't be a problem and that she will settle in.

See, thats the thing: reaching out to someone might seem hard at the start, and inviting them to hang out might not seem like a big deal once it happens, but for them starting over is hard, and they need it. And if I hadn't been new last year, I wouldn't have known that.

A verse I have finally been able to understand in the last few weeks is Jeremiah 29:11:

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

I've been realising that while high school was never really part of my plan, it was part of God's. And that because of it, I have come out of it even better than when I went in. No matter how hard it was at the start, I now prosper because of it. The timing has allowed me to understand and relate to others in a way I couldn't have otherwise. Not only do I have friends, I can now be a friend to others.

What have you been learning lately/what have you discovered worked out in a way you thought it wouldn't? 

Wild Horse is ready to fight in order to rule the world. She comes armed with a Biology textbook, a page of Calculus homework, a novel, and several neatly labeled (in purple pen) exercise books. School going to be good this year, once things settle down into the new routine. 

10 comments:

  1. amazing post! you've encouraged me to be more like that now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was inspiring. This morning before I madly rushed out the door I checked my dashboard quickly and when I saw this post title, I know I had to click on it regardless of how short on time I was. So I quickly scanned through this post and even though I didn't read the full thing then, that verse stuck with me throughout today. Thank you so much <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome :) I'm glad it stuck with you :)

      Delete
  3. Love you. I like to help new people settle in too. Must be in your blood. Or genes. Or something. (You've got the Biology textbook, you tell me.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Wild Horse. You did such a nice and brave thing. I find it difficult to make that first introduction and reach out to others because I'm quite introverted, but once I muster up my courage and take that first step, everything always seems to come out so much better than before. My initial fears always seem to be diminished and replaced with good things, which is why even though I'm introverted, I still love to talk to people once that first introduction is made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :)
      What I missed out was that my hands where shaking and I was really struggling with my social anxiety. But knowing that I was doing something I wished someone had done for me helped.
      Yes! Yes! Yes! :))

      Delete
  5. This is awesome! I think that sometimes we get stuck in situations that we never anticipated and sometimes even resent, but by going through them we become more prepared than we realized to help others and share the love, even if we didn't realize it at the time. God has an active part in our lives, and it is awesome. :D A great study, and a lovely story. (Is it too much to hope I will see more in the future?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreeded! I often don't notice that God is working in my life until I look back.

      Thanks :) And I hope there will be more :))

      Delete