Friday, May 1, 2015

Recently | Hello May


Ummm, where did April go, exactly? I think I missed it. Last week someone said to me 'this year is hard, but savour it because it's also good.' I'm tying their advise to heart, I really am. But when you have an assessment in nearly every class and your teachers keep trying to squeeze a tiny bit more out of you, it's hard.

I want to scream at them 'I am not a tube of toothpaste, there is nothing left in me, I just want to know how to wear a shirtdress properly, be a world dictator or sleep for one hundred years and when I wake up I want to be old, wise and happy.'

April has had a whole of of learning going down.

I'm learning to be thankful for my biological sister, because she knows when I bang on the door of the bathroom and say get out, I mean it. She doesn't dare touch my food. I'm learning to understand that when you have been a single child like our exchange student, you don't have any concept of a shared bathroom, so regularly spending 40 minutes in there is okay. I'm learning that it's something she has to learn, and we have to learn with her.

I'm learning that to find myself in this messy world, I need to go into the world. I'm learning that I will always wake up with messy hair and that a caffeine-induced heart rate is different from the real deal. I'm learning that I want to travel and see other peoples hometowns. I'm learning that there are some things I will never be able to let go, and that it's okay to have heart over head sometimes.

I played my first football game this week. I cannot stress how much I loved playing. I was worried that I was going to be bad, because at the practise I was all over the place. But I was okay! I almost scored and the team is really supportive.

I also bought a camera. For taking pictures. Like, one that isn't point-and-shoot. I'm hopeless at it, but I'm having endless amounts of fun photographing everything. Does anyone have any photography tips for me?


Blogging wise, I'm sorry April was so depressing and I talked about myself a lot. The most popular post was The Mirror Lies, which makes me happy and sad (which I seem to be doing a lot of). Some of my favorite blog posts in April were:
H.M. Wilson on Bookish Pet Peeves 
Jo on flaws

I read a lot of good blog posts this month but if I don't stop there I never will. It amazed me how many encouraging posts I read in April that really hit home. They aren't on the above list, but I would just like to throw a thanks out to those who write encouraging posts. 

I am incredibly hard to please currently on the book front. It seems that every book I pick up made me want to scream in frustration. I know I shouldn't, but I kept picking out faults in them. If anyone has any suggestions of excellent books, I would welcome them. I only read 14 books in April, a very miserable amount. I would like to put the pictures of what I have read up, but the Goodreads widget wouldn't work. It kept eating my post. If you haven't, you should friend me.

How was April for you? If you had to use one word to describe April, what word would you use? Are you happy for whichever season you are in? What did you read? Any blog posts you enjoyed?
_______________________________________________________________________________________
Opal is exhausted. 

18 comments:

  1. April for me was intense and beautiful.
    I read so many books its not even funny.
    Do you have any books that you recommend? I would love to know!!
    Please check out my new blog http://aprincessleah.blogspot.com/ Im just getting started.

    God bless
    Leah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it was so :) Lucky! :) Check out my Goodreads, you should be able to view my favorites shelf.
      Sure :)

      Delete
  2. Aw, it sounds like you hit a slump this month, and I'm sorry. Today hasn't been my best—I overslept an hour and I haven't been productive at all over the last week. I feel kind of like someone punched my soul in the face. But, whenever I'm in a slump, I tend to run to my Addams Family Musical Soundtrack: "Only at our weakest can we rise above." Life is hard, and maybe our emotions are shot, but I'm willing to accept that. Because I also know that this isn't the end.

    Also, thanks for the shout-out. :) I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I like the idea that 'someone punched my soul in the face' because that is quite like what it feels like.
      True! I often turn to music as well.
      Welcome, I'm still smiling about that post :)

      Delete
  3. Wow...it's really crazy to imagine that April's almost over with. I mean, wasn't it yesterday that I was watching the snow pile up here? My blogging kind of hit a low spot, with the posts not being all that great and whatever...but oh well. With a new month comes new opportunities, and I'm hoping for them. a lot. That's so awesome you're playing football :-) You sounded awesomely poetic and wise in this post, just saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too :/ I hope you rise out of yours!
      It is awesome! Thank you :)

      Delete
  4. I suppose for me, April was kind of a turning point as well. It wasn't as hard as February or March for me, but I made some decisions that I think are going to affect me in somewhat more drastic amounts.

    For me, summer break is almost here. ALMOST HERE. June 12th, here I come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad April went better than March for you :)
      Lucky! I hope you have a great break :)

      Delete
  5. April was intense for me. I had like half of my exams (because I switched from New Zealand I get double the external exams in Year eleven with different curriculum, yay) and lots of big projects. But because we're mostly studying now I think it'll be a bit more relaxing. I'm used to big families and shared bathrooms (and also being an exchange student) so I'm glad you are learning to understand each other. And I have concert with my orchestra tomorrow. Which will be good hopefully. I read some really good books this month and some okay ones. You might like Chanda's Secrets by Allan Stratton or Sabriel by Garth Nix, both books I like a lot, but I don't really know your tastes.
    I hope you have a good May :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait, you're a New Zealander? Thats awesome!! It must be an amazing experience to be an exchange student in another country?
      Thanks you for the suggestions :) I hope you have a great May as well :)

      Delete
  6. First of all, your Hello May image is just freaking GORGEOUS. And it seems like April was quite a pleasant month for life, despite the blogging/reading slump, and all those lessons are things I shall have to take to heart myself. I'm not personally very good at photography, but one of my IRL friends is on Tumblr at multifandomlilshit, and I'm sure she'd be happy to help you if you shot her an ask!

    Thanks so much for featuring my post! :D :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU. Lots of people seem to have ht some kind of slump :/
      I might do that, thanks :)
      You're welcome, it was very right (especially after watching Age of Ultron!) :)

      Delete
  7. Aw, hey, thanks for mentioning my post! I'm glad you liked it that much. xD April has been . . . a "race." Racing to get things ready for a play, for graduating high school, for choosing a college . . . I haven't been able to keep up with my blog the last week. But now that May is here, it is all over and I can lower the pace a bit.
    I tagged you for The Infinity Dreams Award here: http://writerandproud.blogspot.com/2015/05/the-infinity-dreams-award.html. I hope you enjoy the questions. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought is was really good- it made me think :)
      Scary stuff! I'm glad you can slow down now though.
      THANK YOU!! :)

      Delete
    2. Well thank you, and you're very welcome.

      Delete
  8. Yay for the camera! I got mine a few months ago and I've yet to read the manual (oops). >_> Sorry my reply's a bit late, I tried to comment a few days ago and it wouldn't let me. It turns out I can no longer comment using my computer. So I had to fish out my iPad for this. :D

    I'm happy that you liked soccer! One time in archery practise I hit nothing but when it actually came to team games ALL MY ARROWS HIT THE TARGET. So yeah, it happens to everyone!

    Thanks for the mention, by the way! I love how you had to change the name of the post because 'u' makes no sense. Then again, so do none of my post titles...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeees! I read the first pages then I was like 'I can work this out'.

      :) When I don't do well at the practise, I begin to panic about the game, but I'm normally more ready and focused at games. Glad I'm not the only one!

      Welcome- I loved that post :))

      Delete