Saturday, June 27, 2015

When an Opal Maths


When an Opal maths, you normally end up with a splash of color across the page, a strange clash of the organised color coder and a focused brain. A clash of the unknown and a pen.

When an Opal maths, she avoids the calculator and the pencil. A mix of stubbornness and laziness takes place. To lazy to sharpen a pencil, normally to stubborn to rely on a calculator.

When an Opal maths, her hand is nearly always in the air to ask questions. She lacks confidence in herself, but somehow on a Thursday afternoon...


Opal found herself in a car, on her way to a math competition held at the local university. Opal had asked to do this, but was now wondering if she regretted it... But with her Calculus teacher and two friends (twins, actually. Brother and sister twins)...


She felt slightly more confident. Upon arrival, they realised that they were the only school to attend in mufti. This was slightly intimidating. Upon entering the building, they meet some of the math department, and guessed how many jelly beans were in the jar. Opal guessed 257, while Boy Twin guessed closer to 1000. This caused a moment...


And then, into the lecture theatre and to the seats. The rules explained to everyone, and then a practise question to warm up. Opal's brain suddenly decides that numbers no longer make sense.


Then, into the real questions, racing to answer, have them run down to the marker. Correct? Really?!


Looking up, catching sight of the points board and realising our school name is third. It's not secret that on this team, Opal is the weakest link, so Opal maths faster.


Numbers, prime numbers and graphs and 'no calculators are allowed!' Speaking of top of each other, passing the questions back and forth. Working as a team, write faster, the last 10 seconds!


The question to earn extra points, sitting on the answer for several minutes, unsure about how this works. Handing it in, then to afternoon tea, the wait for results begins.


The results arrive, we all sit up straight, 21 teams of three, wanting to know if they won. When an Opal maths, she's not sure she's helpful. But this time... her team place third.


Oh, also, when an Opal maths... She looks awkward.


Are you a math person? Yes? No? Who's ready for July?!
_______________________________________________________________________________
Opal is such a nerd. She's to far gone. There is nothing you can do for her anymore. Also, guess who turned out to be closer to the real number of jelly beans? 

27 comments:

  1. When an Opal maths, the result is a very humorous blog post. Congrats on coming in third! That's a lot of competition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) It was, and it was quite scary!

      Delete
  2. This has nothing to do with your post but I love your hair cut! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I didn't like it when I first got it cut, but now it's grown out a bit I like it :)

      Delete
  3. Congrats on third place! That shows that you guys still have a pretty good handle on this math business, heheh. :D Also, I never had any doubt that you had a jelly bean count closer to that of your friend's because that was just silly. The style was quite humorous, and I enjoyed your GIFs! (But, I must admit, I am not a math person. Sorry.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much :)
      I'm glad you trust my sense of judgement! I once won a jar like that and was quietly horrified at the idea of being completely wrong this time xD

      Delete
  4. Go you! That is an awesome achievement :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, congrats on the win. I CAN do math but . . . I had bad experiences with my Algebra 2 textbook.And Plane Geometry was just . . . not math. Or at least that is what it felt like. I've always been better at English even though I don't get bad grades in either subject.. *shrugs* Stereotypical writer, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)
      I hated math until the start of this year when I started Calculus. Then I was like I'M IN LOVE.
      It's hard being able to do both math-y and english-y things, because it gives you so many options collage/job wise and decisions are hard to make and and *starts fast breathing* Stereotypical writer indeed :)

      Delete
    2. Oh goodness yes! I had one person tell me, "oh, so you've got the entire world open to you!" And I was trying to make up my mind about a college major and I could just think, "this would be a lot easier if the entire world WAS NOT open to me!" xD

      Delete
  6. First of all, congratulations! You totally are awesome at maths, clearly. And c'mon, nerd life is so much better than regular life. :P I'm not a maths person, but I sympathise with the feeling of stress and not being as good as other team members -- but trust me, you're definitely fine.

    P.S.: On the jelly bean thing, let's say I trust you. Because you are trustworthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NERD LIFE FOREVER ;)
      These twins are pretty much super brains and leave me behind often, they think so quickly xD
      Thank you for trusting me :) It was a wise move :)

      Delete
  7. Yay you! I actually really like maths, though I do find it harder than English to get, but I'm not too bad at it (and my dad helps me out a lot) Nothing wrong with being a nerd though, :) I'm going to be in Calculus in a few months. Random question: do you usually have a uniform at your school?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm not the only math lover in the world :) My dad has to help me sometimes too.
      In New Zealand, there are 5 years of high school. At some high schools, you wear uniform the whole way. At mine, you only wear uniform for years 9, 10 and 11, then mufti for 12 and 13. Some schools you wear mufti for just year 13. It depends :) The idea is to prepare us for dressing for the workplace I think, but it doesn't really work out like that.

      Delete
  8. Hahaha this is so awesome and unique! Personally, I hate math.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) *Gasps* You just killed a math fairy! :P

      Delete
  9. When a Hannah maths, she wants to curl up into a fuzzy-blanket burrito & cry... :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done for coming third! I'm guessing you were closer to the jelly bean count? This competition sounds so exciting, considering it's math I'm surprised (I'm not a maths person). I'm familiar with the thrill because of this comp called the Da Vinci Decathlon, in which a team of around 8-10 gets picked to complete activites in Maths, English, Science, Code breaking, etc. Abyway, sorry this post led me down memory lane. This was an adventure to read. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Of course :P
      That sounds so cool! Is it just an Aussie thing?

      Delete
  11. Congrats on placing in third!
    Well, I think I'll go with you for the jelly bean count, since I don't even know the other fellow and you were probably right anyways.
    Sounds like an amazing experience :) Math is okay, definitely not my favorite, but it's not as bad as some make it out to be I think.

    ReplyDelete
  12. congrats on third place!

    math is not my strongest suit, but i manage to pull okay grades in classes by memorization. i really do not like it, though.

    And mufti's a uniform? Huh. I wasn't quite sure what it was until I read another comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :)

      Mufti is not a uniform, it's wearing your own clothes, but there are some rules involved in it :)

      Delete
  13. I bet you were closer to the number of jelly beans! That sounds super hard but also super fun. I'm also a maths lover (I'm starting calculus ... arghgh next school year) and coming third seems really good! :)

    ReplyDelete