Saturday, September 19, 2015

Behind the Scenes Writing Tag


Oh, hey look, we're doing another tag! Sorry that most of the posts have been gif posts or tags over the last couple of months. I promise there will be some sort of deep post in the near future. I just have to write it. Katie over at A Writer's Faith tagged me for the Behind the Scenes Writing Tag. I made my own banner for it, I hope that's not a problem? Anyway, she's pretty awesome, so you should go cheek out her blog.

Rule: 
Answer the questions and tag people. 

Questions:
Is there a certain snack you like to eat while writing?
I normally write on the computer, so I don't tend to eat. When I do, normally it's popcorn because... Popcorn. 

When do you normally write?
I used to write at night, but now I write when the mood strikes me because my philosophy on writing has changed. But then again, the mood most often strikes at night. 

Where do you write?
Most of the time I write on the family computer in the lounge. Otherwise I write in my bed.

How often do you write a new novel?
Not often. I start writing if I seriously can't let go of the idea. I've started about six novels in the last 3 years.

Do you listen to music while you write?
Yes. Much music. I listen to music pretty much 24/7. There's so much music to listen to and discover.

What do you write on? laptop or paper?
I prefer writing on paper, but I normally write on our Desktop Mac because a) I love the mac, b) I can't hand write fast enough, and c) I need the computer to correct my spelling. However, I tend to write serious short pieces on paper.

Is there a special ritual you have before/after you write?
I wash my hands?

What do you do to get into the mood to write?
I don't do anything. I used to be into the idea that to be a good writer, you had to sit down and write every day, no matter what. I always struggled with this because I don't have the time to write everyday. And it became a nagging chore in the back on my mind, which is not what writing should be about. So I don't try to find the mood anymore, I wait for it to find me.

What is always near the place you write?
My headphones. The desk is normally cluttered with paper and CD's and camera's and other things. But I always have headphones.

Do you have a reward system for your word count?
No, because the words will come in their own good time, and I'm not going to force them out so I can get my 'reward'. Also, as terrible as this sounds, I've always felt above a reward system because all it does is condition you to do something, and in general I don't think I need something rewarding to condition me.

Is there anything about your writing process that others might not know about?
I re-read what I wrote last time, and do a quick edit. Is it the wrong thing to do? Probably, but it's how I set myself up to begin writing. 
I don't write the story in order. I write the beginning, then the end, then fill out the middle. I think it's because I don't plan much out, so I need to know how the characters start, and how they've changed to write about why they've changed. If that makes sense. 

Opal Tags:
If you write, consider yourself tagged! Go forth and share behind the scenes on your writing!


Do you have a reward system for writing? Do you write everyday?
______________________________________________________________________________________________
Opal thinks she sounds quite grumpy in this post. She's not sure why she's grumpy, but she's sorry. 

20 comments:

  1. Hey, I love these gif posts and tags, keep 'em coming.

    You didn't seem all that grumpy to me, but if you were, I understand--most of my posts start out written in a grumpy mood, and then I have to wait until I'm in a good, chipper, sort-of-annoying "yay, everything is cute and awesome!" mood to edit them and make them more positive.

    Nice post! I'd do this tag if I weren't behind on so many other things I've been tagged for already haha

    O | Life as a Young Lady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay then! :)
      It's not just me?!
      They pile up, don't they? :)

      Delete
  2. Haha, I almost made my own banner for it, too, just cause I didn't really like the look of the last one... (Sorry to whoever made it!) I didn't know if that was allowed or not so you go for just doing it. xD

    I love that you wash your hands before you write. That just made me laugh. :p

    AND DUDE. You write the beginning and then the end? That's... weird. And cool. Super cool. I've never thought about doing that, and I WOULD try it if I didn't pants most of my novels. :p I never know how it's going to end when I start it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been trying to take control of my graphics and do my own :)
      Haha yeah it's probably weird xD
      I pants as well, but I normally come up with the start and end before anything else- everyone's different :)

      Delete
  3. Glad to know someone else washes their hands before writing. :') We can't have dirty pens! Also bad hands can mess up your grip.

    Thanks for all the tags in your recent posts! I'll try to get around to them now that I've returned Blogger. :)

    Also, 100% agree that writing ahouldn't be a chore. I never understood the whole "write this much every day" thing. Takes the fun out of writing. Inspiration doesn't come when you ask it to, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES. And on the keyboard it feels like sticky?
      Glad your back! No pressure :)
      Right!

      Delete
  4. You have some cool answers and I definitely agree that writing should not be a chore.

    http://hottowncoolgirl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the second pic!

    I know what you mean about writing everyday. I used to believe that too, but I just can't do it. It is helpful, it keeps me in the "writing zone" if I do it everyday. But there are some days it just doesn't happen. And I've realized that's okay.

    I need the computer to check my spelling too. :) Also, I usually reread the last scene I wrote before beginning again too. I try hard not to edit it, except perhaps the things that really irk me. But it's really just to immerse myself into the story again, get an idea of where I left off.

    I usually don't have a reward system, aside from internal celebration, when I reach a certain point (like half way point of the plot or something). Though sometimes when I actually finish a draft, I do sometimes do something special just to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ;)
      It took me a long time to reach the point where I was okay with not writing everyday. Getting an idea of where I left off is super important :)
      The end of a draft calls for celebration :)

      Delete
  6. Cluttered desks = the worst problem ever. I find that the words that come on paper and the words on a computer end up quite differently, but in the end, they're all going to be revised, so I just write anywhere and everywhere I can :D :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true- I've never thought about it like that before :)

      Delete
  7. GIF filled posts just rock. I have to write on paper most of time before I even consider trying to type on my laptop because when I'm on my laptop, I get distracted super easily and plus, my thoughts and the story just come much more naturally flowing. The only downside is that the further I go into my writing, the more illegible my words become and it takes forever for me to actually read it. XD

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get easily distracted on the computer as well. Ah, the joys of messy handwriting :)

      Delete
  8. Lol, you didn't sound grumpy. :P (And I will totally consider myself tagged for this one.)

    I think it's cool that you wash your hands before writing. I don't do that myself, but I think I can kind of understand why. I also listen to music a lot while writing, because MUSIC. And I totally get the whole reward system not really working. I've never used it for myself, either, but mostly because, why would I need to? Having written the words is the point, so getting done is reward enough for me.

    Great post, and I'm excited to answer the questions! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All goods then :) Yay!
      YES. YES.
      Can't wait to read the post :)

      Delete
  9. Oh, night is a good time to write. Also, that Han Solo GIF is perfect! I am not much of a reward-systemer, either, but that's okay. We still get our writing done in the end, right? Also, I can get why you don't write much in the middle to start. It's good that you begin writing that part with the end in mind so that everything makes sense when you get there! I should do that more....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Tis indeed :)
      Getting it done is the important part :) Haha yeah it's nice when it kind of matches up :)

      Delete
  10. Hy there,

    This post is amazing, I liked it :)
    I just wanna ask: Can you generate tags or it only works if someone tag you? And how can you tag other bloggers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      If you want to create a tag, you can, and you can do a tag even if you haven't been tagged :) And you tag others by letting them know via the post, social media etc.

      Delete