Friday, January 1, 2016

Hello January | Recently


Happy new year! Isn't the beginning of a new year such a precious time? I haven't done a 2015 wrap up post, so I though I might share some highlights of 2015 here, as well as what December was like.

2015 was a year of learning, just like other years. Most of all, it was about pausing and learning to enjoy what I have. I really took the time to stop and look around myself, at other people, at everything I have. In 2016, I plan to smile until my face hurts (or on the inside). Because people think I'm always upset/doing drugs because I don't smile (so I'm told).

December marks summer getting serious about trying to fry us. So far I have only received a tiny mild sunburn, which is probably a record for me. Exams were over by December, so I've spent the month reading and writing and recharging and I might have even seen some friends.


Blogging and Writing:
I was featured on Write the World, with a piece about December, which was exciting. I've spent the last month and a half writing a new novel, and I finished it on the afternoon of December 31st. I then leaned back, declared that I hated the whole thing (I really do) and started planning a totally different one. I am a writer and sometimes we do crazy things.

I think I will just forget most of the writing I did in 2015. I estimate that I wrote 70-80, 000+ very forgettable words novel wise (note to self: organise writing projects so I don't have to estimate). Blogging however, was great!

The three most popular posts on Opal Swirls his year were:

To My Extroverted Friend sparking a reply from my extroverted blogging friend here, and introverted, here
Christian Music & Why I Don't Opal explains her music choice 
Tag of Happiness Where happy went around in big doses

And I'm excited to have lots of posts coming up (don't quote me). I have more Writer Problems, Rachel is coming to visit (for a reason), and there's other random stuff to talk about (with plenty of gifs, in true Opal style). Other blog plans will also come to light in time. 

Books:
I've read 159 books in 2015, so I shall aim for 160 in 2016 (maybe, but I compete relentlessly with myself, so). According to Goodreads, that means I've read 56, 071 pages in 2015. Huzzah for reading! And coffee!

In December, I read the first three books of the Lunar Cycle, and the first four books of the Throne of Glass series (plus the novellas) and now I understand the fuss. Overall, I read 23 books and two of those were audiobooks, which is pretty impressive for me because I hate audiobooks. I read a lot of good books in December.




Tell me your goals for 2016! What are you looking forward to? What was your best memory of 2015? What have you been reading? God bless you this next year!
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Opal has her birthday in a few days! She's getting old. Being born so close to new years/Christmas is awful. 

15 comments:

  1. I look forward to the 2016 posts you have planned!
    I managed to read 86 books this year (too many to share here) but my favorites were The Ascendance Trilogy by Jennifer A. Nielsen. This next year I am hoping to read Cinder--which you listed as having read this year. I've heard it's a great book.
    Happy New Year Opal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to writing them :)
      I keep meaning to pick up some Jennifer A. Nielsen books! Cinder was pretty good, but not my favorite in the series :)
      Happy new year!

      Delete
  2. Awesomeness. I'm sorry, but I lost it at the part about being on drugs. I've barely read anything this year, or wrote anything but some blog posts, which makes me sad, but I absolutely loved this year, and I have lots of big plans for next year, but there's a whole blog post to be had right there, so I'll save that for later lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yep :') Your blog posts were great this year!
      BIG PLANS. Can't wait to hear more about what happens next :)

      Delete
  3. I remember reading your "Christian Music & Why I Don't", and I think it really was one of my favorite posts by you!
    Can't wait to read your blog in 2016!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it Lauren! :) Thanks, I can't wait to read yours :)

      Delete
  4. Wow, very impressive! I can only really say that I approve of The Lunar Chronicles and Challenger Deep because those are the ones I've read, but they are amazingly good! Also, I have to agree that those three were some of your best posts this year, and I look forward to hearing more from you in the new year. :)

    Also, happy early birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Yes they were!
      I'm glad you liked the posts- sorry I forgot to include your response letter! I've added it in :) Looking forward to your posts as well :)

      Thanks! :))

      Delete
  5. Wait waht you read 159 books. o.O Um. What. Wait. ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY-NINE? I'm impressed. o.o
    Happy New Year! Your blog is awesome. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I think I spent more time reading than sleeping last year :P
      Happy new year to you! Thank you :)

      Delete
  6. I was so confused for a moment because you said summer and December in the same sentence before remembering OH RIGHT SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE. You've read LOADS of books YAY! I don't happen to have read any of the ones featured here, ahaha. Happy New Year :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the same from me, hearing about summer in July?? What is this?? :)
      I have! :) Happy new year!

      Delete
  7. happy new year! Im a new follower and so I wanted to drop in and say hey! I cant wait to read more :)

    princessfaithm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia ora!
      Happy new year! I'll be sure to check your blog out, thanks for the follow :)

      Delete
  8. Happy Birthday! And happy New Year! How was The Coldest Girl in Cold Town? I really want to read that one, but I'm curious to know if it's any good.

    ReplyDelete