Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Current Playlist (i)




Music is a massive part of me. Not because I make music, but because I consume massive amounts of it. I will stay up late finding something new to listen to. My headphones are always near me. I love picking apart the layers of a song. I think that music is one of the best gifts God gave us. I'm open to listening to whatever friends suggest.

I never really talk about music in detail (except when I wrote about why I don't listen to Christian music), not sure why. So I thought I'd share what I've been listening to and what I like about it.

(you can find all these songs on my spotify playlist)

Castle // Halsey
Halsey has this super haunting voice and a bunch of weirdly likeable songs about real stuff. i think that this song is about going for what you want, not matter what others say. it was a good song to listen to before mock exams. makes me feel determined.

AM (album) // Arctic Monkeys
big big big fan of this band. I once lay on the couch and just listened to the whole of AM because wow. honestly, this album. the whole thing just makes you ache for something. who knows what, but that's the beauty of music.

Always Be With You // Walking on Cars
recently discovered Walking on Cars, thanks to their hit Speeding Cars. the rest of the album is even better. this song in particular. the beat, the lead singers voice, the piano, everything. good to listen to when you're feeling sad because it's a song you can drown in.

Parachute // Calum Stewart
who even is Calum Stewart?? idk. but i like this song. he has a nice voice. kind of reminds me of Charlie Puth. starts of slow. then gets kind of more pop-y. feels like waking up slowly in the morning.

Smile Like You Mean It // The Killers
this song. there's just something that really catches you out. like, the music itself is pretty upbeat but the lyrics are like wow. life is slipping away everyday, so smile like you mean it and don't let moments pass you by. something i really identify with i guess.

Work Song // Hozier
i like the humming at the start, and the strong beat. reminds me, literally, of working. Hozier's voice is amazing. i think it's about loving someone/being loved no matter what. that's nice. there's a lot of soul in this song.

Use Somebody // Kings of Leon
Kings of Leon man. i was never really into them until recently. they've got some good stuff. the lead singer's voice is raw and honest. the rhythm, the blend of electric guitar and drum. on point.

Blame // Calvin Harris
massive Calvin Harris fan. if you look past his mostly shallow lyrics, and really listen, you will start to hear all the layers. you cannot deny that he knows how to build a song, and this song is an excellent example of this.

Migraine // Twenty One Pilots
if you didn't know them before, you probably do now. back in 2013 they released Vessel and with it came so many good songs. but this song. this song. the lyrics. i know people think they're depressing, but they're not. they're real. real is what i like.

Night Swimmers // Foals
i have a thing for british bands. i'm not sorry. but seriously, the Foals. what is there not to like?? they have this really distinct sound that has an amazing development if you have the time to start with their oldest album and go from there. otherwise i'd suggest any song off their latest album to start with (but mostly this one).

That turned out longer than I thought. What have you been listening to? Do we listen to any of the same stuff? Do you listen to a lot of music? What do you like to listen to? Any band/song suggestions?
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Opal will do another post like this, maybe??

20 comments:

  1. I haven't really heard of anything in your list except the 21 pilots. But I do like music. Right now I'm obsessed with Brooklyn Duo (who do covers), anything Birdy, and Hamilton. This was such a fun post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recently spent time listening to the Hamilton track :) I haven't heard of the Brooklyn Duo, so I'll check them out! Thanks :)

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to listen to these! You should totally do another post like this:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just added a couple of these songs to my Spotify playlist so I should get around to listening them tonight sometime <3 thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post! Hozier is amazing, yesss. I've been listening to Lindsey Stirling's new album :)

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard much of Lindsey Stirling's new album. Glad you enjoyed the post! :)

      Delete
  5. As soon as I saw that the first song was Halsey, I knew that I had to check the rest of these out. Thanks for the recs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the recs, I'll have to check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I read this post and did a few little half-gasps because I was so excited by the songs you listed! Work Song by Hozier is one of my absolute favorites, and I think he sings like the angel of death. Some of my other favorites by him are To Be Alone, Arsonist's Lullaby, and Jackie and Wilson. I'm also a huge Killers fan and Twenty One Pilots is always a good choice. There are a few bands on here that I haven't listened to much, too, which is also really exciting. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!! I hope you you enjoy the ones you haven't heard :)

      Delete
  8. Personally, I don't listen to a lot of music but it would be weird for me not to listen to anything for a week.

    If you want to listen to music in other languages you could listen to Stromae - Formidable (French), Re-bye - AKMU (Korean), Try by Jimin Park (Korean) and Letting Go by Day6 (Korean). So yeah... that is all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine that!
      I've never tried listening to music not in English, so I'll have to give these a go :)

      Delete
  9. Oooh, the Killers and Kings of Leon are great. :D I don't know the others, though. :/ I recognize their names but for some reason I've never had definitive song recommendations. Thanks for sharing these!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this post! I've been looking for new music lately, so I'm definitely going to check these out! I'm not familiar with very many of these, except Twenty-One Pilots. Thanks for the awesome post!

    Also I just wanted to let you know that I tagged you for the Small is Beautiful blog tag over at my blog,O Ye Scribes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to help, hope you enjoy.
      Thanks for the tag :)

      Delete