Monday, October 17, 2016

In for the Long Haul? Must Read YA Series: Dystopian


I'm rather fond of handing out suggestions of YA books to read, and I enjoy making lists of said books. So this week, I bring you the second in a series of posts of YA series I would suggest giving a read (find the first here).

This week I've a got a list of dystopian series, most of which are very popular because of the dystopia hype over the last few years. While this may make you want to avoid theses series, I would suggest doing the opposite, because a lot of these series are good reads.


Divergent by Veronica Roth 
This series has beautiful covers. But, aesthetics aside, this is a solid, enjoyable dystopian series. People seem to get caught between The Hunger Games and Divergent, but I enjoyed both series for different reasons. The Divergent movies aren't that great though.


Maze Runner by James Dashner 
How much action can you get in one book? Lots, apparently. There is no dull moments in this series. It's exhausting just to read it. I enjoyed it though, also there wasn't tonnes of romance. And the plot twists were wicked (if you've read them tell me you get it?).


The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins 
Yes, there is major hype. But it's deserved. The writing isn't stunning, but the plot line and themes are. The movies are also awesome. It would be easy to brush The Hunger Games off, but that's your loss. I ate this series in a weekend.


Legend by Marie Lu 
I avoided this series for ages. Do not follow my example. This series is awesome. Strong women? Family bonds? Betrayal? Check, check and check. This series improves as it goes. Prepare for your heart to be torn up and scattered because the end has a plot twist that will kill you inside.


The Selection by Kiera Cass
Well, okay. I only read this series because of the hype, which they didn't live up to. And I kept reading because I wanted to know what happened in the end. So thumbs up for making me interested?


The 100 by Kass Morgan
I read this series because I loved the first season of the TV show. The books aren't nearly as good, but I like the original plot line more than that of the TV show. This series has a really cool idea of what the future might look like.

Are you a dystopian fan? Have you read all of the series above? What do you think of the ones you have read? Do any of the ones you haven't read look interesting? What do you think the best and worst dystopian sereis are?
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Opal hadn't read any dystopian until she read The Huger Games. 

7 comments:

  1. I found the Hunger Games to be very good, and I'd definitely recommend it! I just couldn't get into Divergent, though. :/
    My best friend read The Maze Runner series a few years ago and loved it, so maybe I'll give it a try!
    I've always been unsure about the Selection series - the premise looks like it could so easily turn out subtly sexist books, and I'm hesitant to read and find out.

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the more I think about the Selection, the less I like it :/

      Delete
  2. I thought the Hunger Games were brilliant until I read Battle Royale. I thought Divergent was okay but it got worse with each book.

    I never knew The Selection was Dystopian. I'll have to check it out!

    Soon, I'll read The Maze Runner. I hope I like it!

    I also wanna check out Legend by Marie Lu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Battle Royale?? I need to look into that!

      Delete
  3. Suddenly I look at all of these covers and I am like "I don't like ANY of these books" and it is cool that other people do but suddenly I realize that I may have never realized I don't like dystopian books very much. XD You learn something new about yourself every day, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha that's great! Honestly, dystopian is such a hit and miss genre. You never know if you will like it or not.

      Delete
  4. I agree with all of these! Expect for the last three, which I haven't read yet (though The Selection looks like a dystopian fashion show--what's the dystopia? a missing thread?). Your Hunger Games commentary is SPOT-ON, though. :) Have you read The Knife of Never Letting Go? If not, it's my personal recommendation!

    ReplyDelete